• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

An Introduction

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Diver_Wanabe

Feb 1, 2018
Hello!
I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as I am new to the forums.
I got NAUI SCUBA certified 60 ft open water, back in 2004, while I was in the military. I loved it, but I was not able to continue to dive due to deployments. Fast forward to last year, and I got the itch to get back in the water. I have not dived since I was certified back in 2004. At this time I also found out that one of my co workers was an avid scuba diver, and also a free diver and enjoyed spearfishing. He an I got talking and I became more and more interested in free diving. I started reading everything I could find on free diving, and practicing holding my breath, and got to where I could hold my breath for 2-3 minutes, which isn't great, but its a start. My coworker and I went up to a local lake and tried to do some free diving. I did everything I was supposed to (I think) but I could not for the life of me equalize my ears. After about 8-10 attempts, with no successful equalizations, he had me just practice my breath holds while he watched. It was a rather uneventful trip unfortunately, but I am determined to figure this out.

My question is why can't I equalize? I am attempting to do the Frenzel method of equalization, I have watched several youtube videos, and I think that I am doing it correctly, but apparently not...

Another thought, I had tubes placed in my ears when I was very young, but they were removed when I was still a child. Could that effect my ability to equalize? if so, why was I able to scuba dive, and get certified?

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get some excellent advice from more skilled divers than myself. I can offer you this: If you can equalize on scuba, you should be able to do so freediving, but it may be more difficult. The most important thing is to take your time! Do NOT push your ears. If you are feeling any pain, stop. Do not push through the pain, it is easy to injury yourself, especially if you are highly motivated.

One day of no equalization should not be taken as a real problem. you can gently, very gently, practice on land. Often new divers will do a surface dive and then swim down to 10 or 15 feet before they feel pressure and then try to equalize. This is not the best approach. Once you feel significant pressure the tubes in your ears can be held shut by the pressure so this make it very hard to equalize.

You want to stay ahead of the pressure, that means equalize as you descend. Some divers will even give their ears a gently puff before they start the dive, but the most important thing is to try to stay ahead of the increasing pressure and did I mention don't push yourself into the discomfort zone? :playful:

Reactions: Diver_Wanabe
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get some excellent advice from more skilled divers than myself. I can offer you this: If you can equalize on scuba, you should be able to do so freediving, but it may be more difficult. The most important thing is to take your time! Do NOT push your ears. If you are feeling any pain, stop. Do not push through the pain, it is easy to injury yourself, especially if you are highly motivated.

One day of no equalization should not be taken as a real problem. you can gently, very gently, practice on land. Often new divers will do a surface dive and then swim down to 10 or 15 feet before they feel pressure and then try to equalize. This is not the best approach. Once you feel significant pressure the tubes in your ears can be held shut by the pressure so this make it very hard to equalize.

You want to stay ahead of the pressure, that means equalize as you descend. Some divers will even give their ears a gently puff before they start the dive, but the most important thing is to try to stay ahead of the increasing pressure and did I mention don't push yourself into the discomfort zone? :playful:

Thank you for the advice, and the welcome, I appreciate it :)

I will keep working at it, and take things slow.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT