• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

And now for something slightly different . . .

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That is one sweet piece of gun youve got there, :inlove , it also looks as if it could take out almost anything. Id be carefull on smaller than 2 or 3 kgs though there might be nothing left after a shot from that thing. Seriously though I think it looks like a very nice gun and the handle placing looks very comfortable with the butt of the gun being able to rest on your forearm nice compensation for the weight of the gun I think. Let us know how it handles in the water.

3x9/16 bands for the present with a 9/32 spear. I planned it as a very general sort of gun for the west coast. It might be a touch light for wsb and yellowtail but not so heavy that it shreds calico bass and sculpin. Call it a submarine 30/06! ;)

A more powerful gun doesn't make the hole in a calico or sculpin any bigger than a less powerful gun- it just does it at longer range.

However, calico and sculpin should influence choice of tips. I have to pass them up because I'm not willing to sacrifice a slip tip that cost from $80 to $100. If you will be primarily targeting calicos, then you better use that Hawaiian shaft in the photo rather than that Mori slip tip that you said you ordered.

Very true. A Hawaiian flopper shaft, complete, is less than my Aimrites and Alexanders. That said, I never didn't think that since I had "only" a flopper on, that I shouldn't pop that WSB. I think it's about 70/30 slip tip to flopper, as far as adding to the earbone collecection goes.

If it's in range, and you can be sure you'll nail it, and you need it, shoot.

:martial Nice gun, Sarge!

The rubber on the butt gives it a nice, finished look too! :cool:

Reactions: Oldsarge
Oldsarge said:
This is a picture of my new gun, a hybrid teak/titanium by Poseidonsub. Notice that it is neither a rear- nor a mid-handle but rather something that, due to a severe lack of imagination, I call the 3/4 mid-handle design. This is Steve Veros original idea and I think it makes a great deal of sense. The handdle is mortise-and-tenoned into the stock. No stronger joint is possible. Note the rear mass that is weighted to balance the forward weight of the spear and bands. I am seriously looking foreward to giving this thing a serious workout in the coming months. Anyone want to come along?

BTW, Steve is currently building these purely as a hobby but if it turns out to be as good as it looks, he may have to go pro. Sign up for yours before the price goes up!

For anyone interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the contact info. I have no feduciary interest, etc . . .

HEy man, i like a lot the breakaway placement, not too close to the hand, no too far neither. What kind of rigging do you have on this?

seaman said:
A clever way to attach the ballast in the butt!!!
Isn't it? The really neat thing is that I think I can remove the cover and change things should I ever have a need to do so.

Bill, the rigging is synthetic, Strylene I believe, though the slip-tip is attached with ss cable. I'll attach a floatline to it for this year's hunting but am giving serious thought to a reel later on. We'll see what happens in the kelp. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give a test report until Spring break. I've bummed a ride with Bill McIntyre on Tuesday and then will be driving down to Baja with Dale for two days in the Sea of Cortez. Then I should be able to give a good report.

A fine piece of work - looks like it can really handle some powerful acceleration from the multiple bands; my complements, sarge

Sweet looking gun there Sarge..I love the handle/trigger guard set up and the radiused corners are nice.. Real beauty.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT