• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Another story about my relationship with the ocean

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ghost_flash

gonna get wet and sandy..
May 20, 2003
It was my honeymoon, we took a boat out to go snorkeling for the day. The leader of the group had a challenge cave he presented to those whom wished to be a bit adventerous.

It was my first time, and I felt I could do it without any problem.
I watched him go down, circle, then go into the cave and come out the other end.

I went down, circled and went through the cave, well I must have spent too much time in the cave as the current took hold just as I was exiting the cave and dragged me back in. I turned and grabbed the edge of the entrance with my hand and pulled myself through with one hand, giving my torso a very close relationship with the coral that lined the cave, and losing a ring on my finger in the process. Upon reflection after the event, I thought myself lucky to be alive, as we were too far out for anyone to help other than CPR...

In my own mind, I believe the sea wanted to keep me, but I wasn't ready to go.

This is what I think is the zen relationship between "man" and the sea. You can call it the yin and yang, where the relationship must be centered and always revolving around this center. Once the center is off balance, the other the uke must follow in harmony.

This is what I am now seeking.

Reactions: Pezman
.....interesting story!

....close one, Ghost! You almost became a ghost on your honeymoon!!!
---Of course, there's another possible interpretation:
The Ocean's a harsh mistress....in giving you back your life for challenging the limits, she took you in marriage...
(remember the ring you 'lost'....?)
....something the Doge of Venice does yearly; he throws a ring into the waves...ostensibly to marry the Sea. I think it's more appropriate to say the Doge acknowledges who is really in control, and to signify his bond (and indebtedness) with the Sea.
Kinda pretty when you think on it.

---So, be careful down there! Whether you acknowledge it or not, you are twice-wed!

---Tell us some more stories. You're a born storyteller!

Last edited:
Re: .....interesting story!

Originally posted by OceanSwimmer
....close one, Ghost! You almost became a ghost on your honeymoon!!!
---Of course, there's another possible interpretation:
The Ocean's a harsh mistress....in giving you back your life for challenging the limits, she took you in marriage...
(remember the ring you 'lost'....?)
....something the Doge of Venice does yearly; he throws a ring into the waves...ostensibly to marry the Sea. I think it's more appropriate to say the Doge acknowledges who is really in control, and to signify his bond (and indebtedness) with the Sea.
Kinda pretty when you think on it.

---So, be careful down there! Whether you acknowledge it or not, you are twice-wed!

---Tell us some more stories. You're a born storyteller!

I agree, your resonse rings true to me. (no pun)
Although I didn't toss the ring in, it was taken, but who am I to argue? I'd only be too happy to return to the same spot and offer the replacement ring again, but on my terms, this time.

:O)

-Mark

I didn't toss the ring in, it was taken,

Sounds like a "shotgun wedding" to me.rofl

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT