• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Another world so close...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
I went for a walk along the beach-front promanade today, and it struck me that I was treading a path which divided 2 completely seperate worlds. One world was filled with noise, smells, and the comforts of our presence.
A young couple walked 2 dogs, barking, and growling, as they talked loudly to one another and shouted occasionally at their animals. Elsewhere, construction workers yelled above the noise of a cement mixer. Their shouts were drowned by the roars of passing buses, and the howl of a big motorbike.

In the background, the constant hummmm of a busy area, and smells of exhaust fumes, and occasional garbage.
So many people, couples, individuals, joggers, young and old, gaze out to the water, seemingly hypnotised. But how many of them realise that out there, is another world...so close.

As we fill our lungs, just meters from that promanade, and slip under into the blue, we enter silence. Just a crackling of the reef.
And a faint swish of the surf far above. Just silence, and colour.
The dance of light from the surface. The flowing kelp forests, the cautious movement of fish, and the mysterious void of the open space just out of our visibility. The caves of Crayfish, beautiful shy-sharks and Rays which pass by unperturbed by our presence.

Limited by our lack of gills, our visits are just fleeting.

But as we break the surface and return to our world of noise and smell, we realise that we are perhaps fortunate, that most of those eyes which gaze outwards towards us do not have any idea of the magic which we find down there. No Visa's, aircraft, and travel arrangements for this world, just a set of fins, a mask, and a desire to freedive. Lets rock !

Nice!

I once stared out at my favorite diving spot with an (ex-) girlfriend next to me. I made a passing comment, which reminded her that when she looks out onto the ocean, she sees a flat surface.

When I look out at my favorite spot, I see cliffs, canyons, crevasses, caves, slopes. I see straight through the surface into the landscape which lies below, which I know so well.

This awed her and it made her want to find that world.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT