• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

answer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kantar

Jul 4, 2003
Totem ?

I have no luck with my first question . : (
Help me with another , have anyone of you using Totem Tahiti speargun ?

Hi Kantar,

Where are you from?

As i said before somewhere in the form, i decided to buy TOTEM Tahiti 120 when i sold my gun and did some search about it.Unfortunatelly i couldn't buy. The guy from Crotia, Allan he is also memmber of this form but he is not very active. Just use the search function to find somthing about it.
I can tell you what Allan said me about his Totem Tahiti 120 in e-mails.He is saying that they are the best quality euro gun in the market today. He used both OMER, C4, Totem and he is saying that Totem is best.He is saying that he can hit 6cm target from the 6 meter away from speartip.
If you look at the design of the Tahiti you will see that it has full length rail which guarentee very tight support for the shaft. Its one piece laminated hard tropical wood which means there will be no crack on the joints.Its also open muzzle that can help more when aiming.
As i said before i didn't use Tahiti but if i have opportunity to buy from locals without paying high custom and shipping fee. I don't doubt to buy it.

I m also from Croatia like Alan and he is a top dealer in Croatia for Totem speraguns . I asked a question because I l buy Tahiti soon so I wont any other opinion from users , I also have a VHS cassette which promote Totem guns and I can say they are very precise and effective for most fishes in Mediterranean see . I choose Tahiti because he has two circular bands 16 mm and it is make from wood , now I use Omer competition 106 with circular bands and you ?

Hýmm....

You are right if he is dealer you better to have other's opinions as well. But his experiance seem very deep to me. You may can benefit from his experiance.
My old gun was OMER MB 30/86. I sold it and now trying to make deal for RA Saracen.But custom+tax and shipping fee is really high here. If i can not fit it in my budget i will buy OMER Alluminium 100.;)

What is Tahit's price there? I get basic gun price from Fabrizo +
60% custom + 150 euro shipping. More than 500 euro.:waterwork

hi

I havent used or seen the Totem range of spearguns here in Oz, but before you go ahead and buy it you may want to consider looking into the Ra Railgun like murat.

Im sure with your fast Med sea fishes the Rob allen will handle just as good as any other Euro gun and they are very stong and well made, well except the trigger :hmm

cheers

Hi .

Tahiti price in Croatia is 350 €, off course it depends on length, this is price with Demka spear and reel . I have already trying shooting with Totem series Pelagos , but they were smaller versions .
Murat consider about buying Alluminum because earlier versions have problems with combination aluminum and metal from spear . Try to order new model with small rubber on that places .
Ivan , railgun is overpriced here in Croatia because we haven’t dealer here(reserve partly )and I don’t know anything about this gun performance compared to other stronger speraguns especially with guns made off wood with 2 circular rubber . If you have some link send me .

Do not buy the Alluminum unless you are sure that it is the new version. My muzzle fell apart from corrosion and I had it changed for a Picasso Century Carbon. Great gun but the trigger is a bit too sensitive.

Have you seen the Dapiran Jedi guns.

www.dapiran.it

The site is in Italian, but I have spoken to Giorgio Dapiran and he is a spearfishing genius who regularly writes articles for Spanish and Italian Spearo magazines.

He produces his own (extremely simple) wooden guns which he has thoroughly tested using high speed cameras and other state of the art equipment.

This is definitely going to be my next purchase.

My 0.02

Oh by the way, this Dapiran guy also recommends Seatec euroguns as well. Seatec is being run by Valerio Grassi, the original developer of OMER equipment.

Kantar,

I think if you buy long size tahiti, 120cm+ it will deserve that money.
What is the problem with Alluminium? Which rubber and where is it?:confused:
I didn't used RA as well but what i hear and what i see from the others is always positive.Another good thing about RA, it has rail like Totems, and made of carbon (Saracen Model). That means, it will track much better than any wood barell gun.They have very nice accecories as well. Some guys saying that theirs spear ar top quality and price is very cheap. But of course if you don't have dealer in local prices won't be that cheap. Ah forgot to say, Rob Allan (Producer of RA guns) trust his new carbon model so much. He gives 5 years warranty.He claims that his new carbon barell is stiffer than any other wood barell at the same size.

You are lucky than me, you have the opportunity to see Totems but i have no chance to see either Totem or RA:waterwork . When you try to decide buy guns which you didn't even see, the things are sucks to much.

Problem with Alluminum is that the old version had the Aluminium muzzle and handle in direct contact with the carbon barrel. In salt water there is electrolysis between the carbon and the metal causing very quick corrosion.

The new version has been given a rubber sleeve on each end of the carbon tube which stops this happening.

The barrel on the Dapiran gun I mention in the previous post, is shaped like squid bone which allows for very fast side tracking due to its hydrodynamic shape. I believe Totem uses this shape on its Ultra model.

One last thing, you can only use Omer bands on the Alluminum and excalibur 2000 muzzle. The threads of other band makes fit loosely and I have been close to an injury on a few occasions

Hi again .

Murat , shaneshac have answered where on gun he has problem , new aluminum comes with rubber between lever and body of speargun and on head of the gun .
Shaneshac , I know work of Dapiran very well , I watch almost every tape he has made about spearfishing , but I have heard that Totem guns are much better then Jedi but Dapiran keep developing his gun . About C4 monoscoca ( that is the name of c4 gun ) , Dapiran says the problem in carbon guns is in weight compared to wooden guns , because weightier guns are more precise on longer distances because lighter guns have bigger wrench which move more spear and shoot are not very precise .

Hi again .

Murat , shaneshac have answered where on gun he has problem , new aluminum comes with rubber between lever and body of speargun and on head of the gun .
Shaneshac , I know work of Dapiran very well , I watch almost every tape he has made about spearfishing , but I have heard that Totem guns are much better then Jedi but Dapiran keep developing his gun . About C4 monoscoca ( that is the name of c4 gun ) , Dapiran says the problem in carbon guns is in weight compared to wooden guns , because weightier guns are more precise on longer distances because lighter guns have bigger wrench which move more spear and shoot are not very precise .

Have you tried a Totem or a Jedi gun?

If so, how do they compare with a normal euro gun?

Shane

Hey Shane,

How can i understand if its new version or not? My local dealer ordered them new, they did not even came yet. Is it supposed to be new version?

I looked that Dapiran guns but couldn't undertand anything:duh What is the trick with them? R they all single band gun?

How was your Alluminium 100 accuracy compared to other euro guns?

By the way, i found interesting guns in that site (one with 8+mm shaft 5* 16mm bands breakaway mid-handle). They are in greece.

www.teak-sea.com

Hahaha...

It seems we are online i got my first question's answer. Really appreciate.

Don't for get to check the link;) You will be surprised.

Hi Murat,

THe Dapiran Guns come with a single 20.5mm band and 6.5mm shaft. I have seen this guy take 25 - 30 kilo Amberjack with it.

He also uses it in his new video where he specifically targets Dentex Dentex. Land 7 - 8 kilo fish from 4 metres no problem.

THe Alluminum guns should all be the new version now. Check the joint between the muzzle and the barrel for a rubber seal (washer) This stops the electrolysis happening.

The alluminum gun shot lower than I was used to but once I got used to it it was very precise.

I need to get used to my Picasso now.

If you need any more info from the dapiran site by all means ask.

So you mean Alluminium shoots lower with original config. or it's because of your track ?

As i understand there is something magnetic on the barell. What is it?

Does he had any video clip on his site like Totem?

hi

Shane talking about all these videos I have some Q's, I heard a while back that Picasso has a video with Alberto March featured in it ?? If so so you know anything about it where I could get it or any other videos featuring those guys diving the Med :) Maybe I'll send a pm

hi thats a shame you dont have a Ra dealer over there :(

cheers

The rail only made the gun quieter. The Alluminum muzzle holds the shaft very close to the barrel so the rail did not change the spears trajectory.

The magnet is to hold the spear down onto the rail. He used to use a rubber o-ring ( I think he still does when there is too much current) but the magnet will hold the shaft even if the gun is held upside down. It does not affect accuracy.

Dapiran tried the Totem (and most of the world) method of holding the shaft down with the line, but he did not like that too much. I guess he has his reasons.

He has also started using stabiliser wings on the front of the 106cm gun to remove uplift upon shooting.

As mentioned also look at this site:

http://www.seatec.it/home.htm

He uses the same barrel design as Dapiran (They are both friends I think)

One question Murat: Why do you want such a powerful gun in Cyprus?

hi

Shane I tried to send you a Pm but it says you dont recieve them or something or dont participate :hmm is it just my computer

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT