• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any advice about Madeira?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

takeshi

Oct 6, 2004
Hello All,
I am going to madeira on Jan 16th, just got the ticket. I am hoping for two weeks of nice spearing.
Does anyone have advice about the island? Good spots, best coast, what fish to expect this time of year, good pubs, what thickness wetsuit is best, etc.
I don't know anything about madeira other than that they seem to have pretty alright regulations for spearfishing and make good wine. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The stuff is delicious and the most underrated of dessert wines. Additionally it is damned near immortal. I once tasted an 1848 that was absolute nectar of the gods . . . oh, you wanted to know about diving? Sorry.

Hi Tak,
I'm from Azores and my girlfriend is from Madeira so we have info on the islands :)... about diving, i've only been to Madeira once and didn't spearfish but talking with friends i can add some info. Water will be around 18ºC-20ºC so a 5ml is perfect (i used a 5ml in these holidays in Azores (18ºC) and it was perfect... oh and viz as more than 20m). About the spots i can't help but make sure to know where spearfishing is alowed (there are some restricted areas). If you're in to just diving (without spear) the Garajau reserve is beautiful and big groupers (ephinephelus marginatus) will literaly come to you and ask if you have a gift :p.
the weather will be good (it might rain), temp min 15ºC and max 20ºC (today) and some areas have great humidity. If you want a break in the diving, a interior trail walk will be beautifull experience!
Make sure you drink a Nikita and eat some tuna or meat recipies...

In the future consider Azores :t

I just get the feeling that i said alot but didn't help much....

Fernando

Hi Fernando,
that is just the kind of info I needed to get. 20+ m viz is GREAT news. I talked to another guy who is from madeira and he said he used 6,5 mm so I guess that would work too. Maybe I'll get a 5mm suit to be sure and bring both, I don't have a camo suit so this trip is a good excuse to get one.

So you are from the Azores and your girlfriend is from Madeira, sounds like you never really have to leave the sea. Where in the azores do you live?

I read in another place about the food and drinks in madeira and it sounds great. I am going to try the tuna and alot of 'espetada'. Also looking forward to the honey cake I read about. I will trust your advice and try a nikita, but I must admit it the recipe sounds weird, beer mixed with ice cream and pineapple?

I think the azores is next on the list of spearing places I want to go. I read somewhere that santa maria has great spearfishing.

I would really like to catch a greater amberjack (seriola dumerili). Do you know if january is a good period for seriola?

the 20+ viz was in Azores
i´m from Pico and unfortunatly until june (and the last 5 years) i´m living in Lisbon for studies reasons. I speared a seriola in these holiday so there will probably be there in january but the best time for them will be in the spring and summer as they like warmer water. São Miguel is the most know island and therefore more "charged" with spearfishing. the litle/less populated the island, the greater spearfishing conditions (in general) i cant complain about Pico ´but in the North coast the consequances of the spiling from the ship in Faial are showing up (noting big but...).
I'd like to try Santa Maria, Graciosa e Flores and also the Pico-Faial's channel pinacles and São Jorge pinacles...

:( i need a dive

Fernando

If you search a dive club for the Garajau spot, look for "Manta Diving":
www.mantadiving.com

It's between the airport and Funchal, reachable by bus from Funchal.

Madeira benefits from warm streams originating from the Mexico Gulf, this mean you'll see a lot of tropical fishes. Nice viz, ...

About Madeira Wines: I don't understand how peoples are so crazy about them ... I prefer a good vintage Port.

Don't miss orchids gardens: you'll see a lot of phalaenopsis, coelogina, ... in flowers

Best regards

CdM

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT