• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any diver in Hong Kong?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hktemp

Apr 11, 2011
Hi,

I was shipped to HK recently by my company for a couple of years. Back home I did a lot of freediving, spearfishing, and sometimes scuba diving. While I know there are great places to dive throughout Asia, I hope to dive in HK on weekends.

I heard water here is not too good but I'm sure there are spots that are clean and have some fish. Hope to hook up with fellow divers here. Thank you.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Are you still in HK? If so, I am as well looking for a dive buddy for some leisurely freediving. I can be reached on +852 62334960

Hope to hear from you.

Krgds
Morten

Hey Morten, I know this post is oldish, but are you still around? There's a chance I'll relocate to HK too - I am in Shanghai now.
(And... are you Danish by any chance?)

To other HK interested spearos, this has come up a few times.
HK is judicially not spearo-friendly as spearguns are seen as firearms. So, you have to obtain a gun license and a recommendation from a club and even store your "gun" with the police if you travel for a longer period of time. I am also pretty sure that you need an HK ID for all of this making it likely very hard to spear legally for a non-resident.

The spearGUN designation isssue also the reason spearos in transit have had trouble in HK airport.

But for residents, they either get the license or make their way around it. Not exactly sure how though. I heard some things about eg. keeping trigger mech away from gun when importing guns and such, as it is the trigger itself that makes it into a gun to the authorities. But that still makes it illegal when in the water. Dunno how much is enforced and how though.

That said, I think if you can get in the water it is def worth it. Short boat rides out to smaller islands and other spots seem to yield very nice sized red snappers, groupers and a lot of sweetlips. Viz seems to be so, so but I've seen worse. And there are some oil rigs a few hours out (or faster depending on your outboard) that holds big schools of cudas, bluefin trevallys and in season, amberjacks too. Supposedly huge groupers too. Both the rigs and closer spots has many other smaller fish, whose names I don't know. Oh, I think they have mullets too.

One thing though, while I have seen locals spear on freediving it does seem a lot of them (still) favor tanks.

Thanks for the info Gecko. I'll be in HK in 3-4 weeks. I leave from Gran Canaria in a week and I'm wondering what the minimum gear is I should bring with me. I guess I can buy tourist fins pretty easy right? Maybe if I bring the suit, belt without weights, mask and snorkle...
I guess I can then get a boat from Shaukeiwan to say, Lamma or somewhere. Would be great to meet up. Is there any club around HK?

Hello,

There are guys who spearfish here but they are local (as far as I know) and have licenses to have spearguns. Getting a spear gun license will require a permanent residence which as an expat will take 7 years. I went to the spear dive shop and they called the police to inquire about this (I’m an expat.)

It is legal to have a pole spear and legal to travel in and out of HK with it. I know cause I do it. I haven’t heard anything about packing the trigger separate from the gun as previous stated. I have heard stories of guys getting arrested and pulled of transiting flights without ever stepping foot in HK so that would be for you to try.

There are guys here that spear fish but do so at other destinations such as Indonesia, Philippines, etc. and just travel with a pole spear (unfortunately.) I have seen videos of spearfishing in HK but most spots will need a boat to the better spots with moderate visibility.

Anyone interested in going on diving trips to nearby countries, PM me. A couple of my friends are looking into places to go.

I recently moved to Shanghai, any spearos out here? I want to make a trip to Okinawa, Japan sometime soon. I got into China (Pudong Airport) fine with two spearguns and a polespear. I was wondering if I got lucky or if it's not an issue.

It is legal to have a pole spear and legal to travel in and out of HK with it. I know cause I do it. I haven’t heard anything about packing the trigger separate from the gun as previous stated. I have heard stories of guys getting arrested and pulled of transiting flights without ever stepping foot in HK so that would be for you to try.
The trigger story was one I heard from a local spearo hanging out in a shop in TST. So granted, it is hearsay and even if it wasn't should prolly not be taken as good advice.

As a side note, the source behind the trigger trick is one of the guys who hits the Chinese rigs from power boats but unfortunately they like to do it on scuba and they love nothing more than pull out goliath groupers from the very deep. At least two times in the latter handful of years, the groupers have won and claimed the lives of two local divers - so, there are plenty of reasons why it shouldn't be condoned. But of course I was curious and asked what else could be found on the rigs for a freediving spearo. With a shrug he said that in season, lots of kingfish/yellowtail and often cudas, snappers and nice groupers. In short, a lot of really nice fish within the first 20m or so;-).

In reg. to the stories of people being pulled of flights, it's true - they are right here on DB.

Good to have the polespear legality confirmed, I hoped that was the case - I was close to moving to HK a year ago and was beginning to think seriously about building a nice spear after having fooled around with a Japanese custom made one.

I face kinda the same issue as I am based in (mainland) China and here, spearfishing and having spearfishing gear is illegal.

I have most of my gear in Bangkok and in the future might leave a gun or two in the Philippines. But on my wish list for the year is a trip to Indonesia. Supposedly great for all sorts of spearing:)

Last edited:
I recently moved to Shanghai, any spearos out here? I want to make a trip to Okinawa, Japan sometime soon. I got into China (Pudong Airport) fine with two spearguns and a polespear. I was wondering if I got lucky or if it's not an issue.

Hey Chunny,
I'm in Shanghai, too;-).

In theory, you got lucky.
Spearfishing and the guns are illegal here - I am pretty sure of that. But that said, and I know we are not supposed to lead people astray here on DB, I did bring in a medium sized pneumatic twice. Once, it was taken completely apart - but the other time it wasn't and that was the first time in years, that I was actually asked to put my bags through x-ray at customs. But they didn't say a peep and I'm still puzzled about that.
I would be more worried about leaving with it - because for sure, the Chinese will X-ray it then. That said, I have left the country twice this year with it. Both times from Pudong with the gun totally disassembled. First time, the staff got spooked by the separate handle and had to make a call "upstairs". When I said it was for catching/shooting fish they were fine with it. Second time, no issue at all.
So, as with so many things here, I now have no clue what to think, haha.

BTW, I could be game for an Okinawa trip at some point:). In the process of building a blue water pneumatic that I need to get here too though.

But welcome to Shanghai and if you find me on wechat, we can talk much more - my ID is:
davidphotog

Hey Guys, anyone in HK who like spearfishing ? We can arrange trips anywhere in asia anytime. Contact me if you are interested.

Hey Chunny,
Still in Shanghai?
And did that Okinawa trip happen? I am looking to go this year, would love to have some info:)

Hey Guys, anyone in HK who like spearfishing ? We can arrange trips anywhere in asia anytime. Contact me if you are interested.
HI MickyT, I am interested to spearfishing in HK, do you wanna go together sometimes?

Hello Kevin,
I actually tried to go spearfishing in HK but the visibility sucks. Last time I went I couldn't even see the tip of my fins, and the water dropped like 8 degrees in 10m. I gave up after 20 mins. Heard also there is no fish here... Not like before.
I'm now in Bali for spearfishing these days, and there is strong current so visibility is not good. Good season is september October.
I have another friend who likes spearfishing in HK. I wanted to create a spearfishing association or something like that we could share the interests together and organise some trips to share the cost. Also share tips and training.
I've done some spearfishing in France, philippines, thailand and indoenesia, and for me Bali is one of the best place so far and the closest to HK for the amount of fish.
We could grab a drink these days with my friend and see if there is any way we could arrange some trips together. Also fishing at 2 is always more fun...
Let me know

Micky

Hi Micky,

I am a beginner, if this is ok with you I am very happy to join you and your friend to spearfishing!

let me know how to contact you!

thx
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You can whatsapp me 5303 3945 on my HK number.
It's ok, I was thinking to bring people for freediving training and mix it with spearfishing too. Like that you can increase your bottom time and wait for the nice fishes to come.
Wait to hear from you.
Micky

Hi Kevin,

I'm a freediver just back to HK looking for a buddy or group for some depth training. You can whatsApp me at 68599739 ;p

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Coloma

Hi Micky,

I am a beginner, if this is ok with you I am very happy to join you and your friend to spearfishing!

let me know how to contact you!

thx
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I'm also in to spearfishing and would love to do it in Hk. Lets get in touch, William 68460789

Reactions: Rangerman
Hi All

I have recently moved to Hong Kong from South Africa and spearfish regularly back home. I am a little frustrated being around all this water and not being in it haha.

I plan on applying for my gun licence so I can import my spearguns asap as I have just come back from a spearing trip to Indo and had to borrow a gun which wasn't ideal.

is anyone interested in forming a Spearfishing club here in Hong Kong. maybe a bbq or get together on a semi regular basis to share ideas and meet like minded people who can share costs on local boat hire, put together trips etc etc?

we have a club back in South Africa called Umhlanga Spearfishing Club and you can check it on facebook to get an idea of how effective it can be as a networking tool to get into the sport.

if anyone is keen, you can WhatsApp me on +27 84 200 6002 (I am still using my south African WhatsApp number for business reasons)

Cheers
Andrew

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT