• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any idea what kind of fish this is?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rhode isle jon

Jul 22, 2005
A few weeks ago I was spearing off-shore in Rhode Island in about 6-10 ft. of water and saw this red-pink spiney fish that I've never seen before in those waters. I didn't try to spear it, wasn't sure if its spikes are poisonous or not. I was checking out the Montauk Ferry schedule and found a picture of it online. Any idea what kind of fish this is? Thanks, Jonathan

Attachments

• red fish.jpg
    red fish.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 245
Absolutely 100% Coral Hog or Hogfish if you will. One of the oceans better tasting species. Didn't know they made it up to Rhode Island.
Trainwreck

Thanks guys. It sure is one ugly fish. Always nice to know what you're looking at before you pull the trigger.

Trainwreck said:
Absolutely 100% Coral Hog or Hogfish if you will. One of the oceans better tasting species. Didn't know they made it up to Rhode Island.
Trainwreck
^.............

Around here (Florida) we call them hog snapper and also hog fish. They are a wrasse, same family as parot fish. The meat is very white and great to eat. It is probably one of the top sought after reef fish in florida and the carribean. Next time you see one, nail him and get ready for a great mea.
Good Luck.:t

Actually Parrotfish belong to the Scaridae family, Wrasses to Labridae. :)

The way to tell the difference is that Wrasses have distinct teeth, Parrotfish have fused teeth that look like a Parrot's beak.

Holy kingfish! A hogfish off Rhode Island: so the greenhouse effect and planet warming is an exaggeration, say the US government "authorities":duh:rcard . Yeah right...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT