• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any info about Stigs and Carlos attpempts?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dan wrote in freediver guestbook
Greeting from Venezuela
Yesterday Carlos Costa got the 135m varible weight reord, but the official topside camera man stopped his camera at 3m mins, rather than 4mins. Therefore he will have to redo the dive on Wednesday!!
Dan

VWT an CNF WR

In slightly more detail.

Lovely day, flat Caribean seas, over 30m eter visibility (before the scubas spoiled that).
Dolphins 26+ C in the water.

Carlos in good mood and with good training dives behind him did the depth. Got a slight problem at 133 (stopped) continued down to 135.
Look strong at the surface. Coughed a lot of blood (plasma)(in comparison to earlier dives). Forgot though to remove his nooseclip within 20 seconds (although this was discussed at prior meetings). Was no serious coach present that could remind him.
And as is not uncommon - athletes spend lots of money on trimix, boats, judges, d-test - But fail to see the need of a professional cameraman. (Well they got Dan Burton over here - and he has been around filming many UW performances.)

But these seems to be "easy" depths for Carlos and wednesday will most likely be a good day.

Carlos uses a simple standing up sled. Brakes with a knob that he screws onto the rope. No gogles - only noseclip. Simple antiballast system, and trimix divers with liftbags "down there".

Stig has a body that can swim very deep - but unfortunatly his ears disagrees with this ambition. He turned at about 62.
Strong and eager to try again on tuesday.

I can also say that I like what I see from the judges. Serious and professionally are they dealing with the sometimes "tricky" rules supporting the athletes as best they can to actually succed.

Myself I am here working with a danish TV crew. And of course ; seeing Stig fail - ads to the drama... ;-)

Hi Seb,

Good to hear that the Scandinavian apnea is represented the best over there with not only athlete, but also media :-> Sad to hear that Stig's ears are still toying with him :-<

Which Danish TV are over there? (Production Company, channel?)

Fortsat held og lykke, Stig. Vi ved sgu alle du kan!

Regards,
Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

I left Stig at 30 meters.
Stig got down to 67 today an spun the plate.
Was met by Carlos at 30.
Got to the surface.
Gave a shout of joy and started swaying and got caught by his safetydivers.

Carlos goes tomorrow.

Seb

PS. TV1 (SFK) januari

I read at AIDA web page that Stig attempt for static record was cancelled. Anyone know why?

Well basicly I would say that now that TOM is clean (good). 8.47 is a very hard time to beat.

Regarding other happenings in Venezuela:

Carlos made his 135 meter dive clean on wednesday. Took forever to resurface, safety scubadivers below me started to prepare the signal for the antiballast.
But there he was and at 4.37 he reached the surface.

Stig made it to the plate at 67 on tuesday came up and spent his first 3-4 seconds "celabrating" his new world record. Then he fell back into a minor BO.
Victorysigns and cheering does seem to need some oxygen ;-)

His last attempt was today friday. Overcast sky, flat seas. Lower visibility (8-12).
I followed him to 25 with a camera. Since this was his last try I knew it would be along dive since he would do anything to reach that plate.
Met him at 12 where he stretched a hand for the line but fell into a LMC and then a BO. Carlos took him up where he continued to hold his breath in a BO state, eyes staring (A real professional BO, like those Anabel once in a while shows us ;-)
After some initial poor performance from safetydivers for the first 12 seconds Stig was breathing again after some 20 secs.

The man really tried.

But at the end of the day the champion of Unassisted freediving is Herbert Nietsch at 66 meters (and Anabel who, as read on other lists, took the tag up from 42 meters).

Congratulations for those who made it and those who tried.

Sebastian
Sweden

Well thanks for the sad news about Stig, but you can´t win every time...

I talked to Stig right after he got out of the water. He seemed to be in a relative fine state of mind after all.
I think that I was even more sad than Stig.

Not really much to say, but I can only share my sympathy with him. I´m sure that he will rise and make a few surprises in the furure.

All my best to you my friend -FORZA BASSE!!!

Peter P

Seb,
Seems stig definately has the power to pull this off...Did he get ample rest between the dives or kept training....I know this may seem very minor but did he stay out of the sun?

I am Jamaican and can stand the sun a lot more than you white boys :) but even when I am exposed to just a few hours of direct sunlight it really affects me the next day.

David

Stig doesnt like me talking to much about what I see.
However I feel free to describe everything I see on the official attempts.

And I can say that you are right on target.

At his second dive he was fit. Did the dive. But celebrated to early (see above). If there would have been a tag he could have delivered it. But the dive was validated by touching the plate (videoed).
(I keep telling him that he should go FREE, since he is not totally happy with the LMC rule).

On his last dive he was tired! Complained that his muscles where soar. So yes, He probably could have pulled it of with more rest.

But on the other hand - when is it ever perfect. There so many factors involved. And I have a feeling that most records are done with less than perfect conditions.

Sebastian

PS. Are still training. When I heard you got yourself a girlfriend I was worried for you amd your freediving career ;-)

Originally posted by cebaztian
.......And I have a feeling that most records are done with less than perfect conditions.

This is so true.

Sebastian
PS. Are still training. When I heard you got yourself a girlfriend I was worried for you amd your freediving career ;-)

:) you know, the good thing is that she freedives! How's 55m EACB without ever trying freediving for you? Also, when the female UCB record was 41, she did 43m in the lagoon without any effort. She had 50m there no prob. She freakin rocks.

como?

a girfriend?
anja ....good ...David

the most important is that she like freediving so both have something in comun

saludos cebaztian

Originally posted by cebaztian
David

Stig doesnt like me talking to much about what I see.
However I feel free to describe everything I see on the official attempts.

And I can say that you are right on target.

At his second dive he was fit. Did the dive. But celebrated to early (see above). If there would have been a tag he could have delivered it. But the dive was validated by touching the plate (videoed).
(I keep telling him that he should go FREE, since he is not totally happy with the LMC rule).

On his last dive he was tired! Complained that his muscles where soar. So yes, He probably could have pulled it of with more rest.

But on the other hand - when is it ever perfect. There so many factors involved. And I have a feeling that most records are done with less than perfect conditions.

Sebastian

You know, I am a bit puzzled. Stig is STRONG. I watched his 160 horizontal NF thingy in the pool. for the entire time he stroked like a maniac without resting and came up good. But on 67m even if he's cellebrating like a maniac, someone as strong as he is should not have konked out.

I am just basing this from my own performance and how I felt after 65m...67 or 70 was right there and would not have made much of a difference for me. Stig should come out and run a marathon on the same breath hold. The sea just didn't want him that day.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Hopefully, Stig will comment on his attempts.

But I imagine something like dehydration from the hot weather, stress and fatigue could all contribute to an early blackout.

Really his 166m dynamic is way more effort than a 67m dive in terms of swimming, given that the dive has a sinking phase and that he spends most of the dive in a hyperbaric environment. What I would like to know is how many strokes did he take to get down, at what depth was he neutral and sinking, etc...

Although Stig is an accomplished pool freediver, I really don't think he really has enough experience with constant weight to overcome some of the challenges that can come up. This is evidenced by his difficulties with equalizing. There is no substitute for open water experience... I think the stress of "getting up to speed" in the ocean for all his record attempts must be considerable.

Carlos Coste, on the other hand, is in my opinion, the Tom Sietas of ocean disciplines. He has found the right way to train and will surpass Martin and Herbert and Loic is he wants to. 135m variable in 4'36! C'mon, that used to be a no limits record. Loic's 171m is only 36 metres away. And Loic's dive time was under 4'00".

Happy winter everybody!

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

his variable dives are longer most people's statics! :D

Sebastian mentioned that he had lung squeezes during those dives. i suspect that his extremely long dive times were probably to blame... due to having contractions at depth (<< RV). that's my guess anyway.

Yes these are two strong athletes and David is right again - oxygene wise this should have been peanuts for Stig.
But this lovely sport of ours has so many factors and that is what makes it an intresting challenge.

And it seems like Topi, Stig and David are very fit athletes with a "go get it" kind of approach to the CNF.
Anyone knows the dive times of Herbert CNF 66, and Carlos 61 m CNF?

One of Carlos strong sides is that he seems to be confident in his own performance. There was not much training behind that 135 meter dive.
I am curious how he dealt with narcosis - he took some time down there. His sled has a "screw" as break. Takes effort and time.

Sebastian

Another thing...I don't know if you can disclose this info or not, Seb....But I remember for the 61m I heard Stig stroked all the way down and all the way up...Did he do this stroking all the way like usual?...Like you saw me do in Kos :D (I am so ashamed of that technique...Not that I am anywhere near perfect now)...If this is the case this could be factored in...I left that "continious stroking / go get it" attitude after the 47m in Kos...That's definately not the way to do it...I figure I could probably bust out a 60m like that and be close to BO....but NO WAY on 65+...Resting on the way down for the journey back is key.

Also, like Peter said...There's no substitute for open water experience...

Wish I could get more...Damn it...I have to get out of Oklahoma...What the hell am I doing here?

David,

I must admit i'm surprised you still live there in Oklahoma! haven't you thought about moving to the coast?? i don't know how you can bear it! :)

Originally posted by Alun
David,

I must admit i'm surprised you still live there in Oklahoma! haven't you thought about moving to the coast?? i don't know how you can bear it! :)

ONE YEAR...and the count down has started...Home is calling.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT