• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any tips on how to cook/prepare Red Morwong

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manny_OCF

Nov 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

There is a species of fish around Sydney/East Coast of Australia, called the Red Morwong. It is extremely common, found in large numbers off any dive site.

These fish are medium sized, around 30-40cm.

They are also extremely slow and dumb, and are incredibly easy to catch. Whilst freediving, these fish have even swam into me.

anyone know how to cook and prepare them?

I find the trick with red mowies for myself, is to fillet & skin them, not scale & gut. They have that black stomach lining & under this they also seem to store a lot of oil/fat which gets released during gutting. I don't bother to gut them ever as they make excellent fillets which lend themselves to Asian cooking. Some of my Chinese mates consider them the "perfect" fish for making dumplings. I guess being red also lends to their popularity. If you are going to eat them whole, then that black stomach lining must be removed & the fat also, an old tooth brush is handy for this.

Reactions: Manny_OCF
I find the trick with red mowies for myself, is to fillet & skin them, not scale & gut. They have that black stomach lining & under this they also seem to store a lot of oil/fat which gets released during gutting. I don't bother to gut them ever as they make excellent fillets which lend themselves to Asian cooking. Some of my Chinese mates consider them the "perfect" fish for making dumplings. I guess being red also lends to their popularity. If you are going to eat them whole, then that black stomach lining must be removed & the fat also, an old tooth brush is handy for this.

Thanks for your awesome reply!

I'll keep in mind that black stomach lining. Does it have a bitter taste if any bit of it is accidentally left in?

I'd probably use it for asian cooking, or something with a heavier sauce.

For red mowies its not so much bitter as "kelpie/woody". Mowies eat small crustations, molluscs & what looks like a type of algae which grows on rocks; Im not sure where the oil & distinctive smell comes from, (maybe the algae?), but filleting & skinning them removes it & turns them into very good quality firm white fillets. I have had them when they have been steamed in a wok & lots of ginger & spring onions & asian spices are added, snapper, john dory, coral trout or tuskfish coulndnt have surpassed it. We are lucky, we are allowed 5 per day. I usually dont take them, except in a comp when I will always take one, or when I do want those 5kg of firm white fillets (only a few times per year). They are potentially vunerable to spearos & are an important species for tyros, but in depth beyond 15m they are still abundant & most of us respect & protect our "mowie holes" so we can always find one when needed.
16426162_416684078674846_7705990821600326106_n.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT