• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any tips on spearfishing in Mozambique and South Africa?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hiawata

Dec 9, 2006
My wife and I are planning a trip along the coast of Mozambique and South Africa in june - july 2008. Since we are travelling as backpackers, I won`t be able to bring other diving equipment than mask and snorkel. As a norwegian spearfisher, I look forward to snorkelling the shores of Moz and SA, but it would be a shame to return to Europe without trying some tropical spearfishing. In Norway I am used to spearing along the shore, mostly for nonpelagic species (like coastal cod and pollack). Based on films I`ve seen, bluewater hunting looks like something very different from what I am used to.

1. I seldom cross 15 meters, and divetime is 1.15 max. Based on this, what are my chances at bluewater hunting? Are there options for divers who doesn`t dive very deep?

2. Are there any operators in either Moz or SA ( Northwest) offering speafishing? (Mainly Moz)

3. Are there any chances for big game close to the shore?

4. The most commonly caught species in Norway weighs less than 20 kgs, and I suppose they act more like the species on the reef. The only thing you have to fight with is the weight of the fish. I therefore use one buoy and a 20 m line, attatched to the speargun. I`ve read about tunas pulling the hunter for over two hours. How does this work?

5. Is it common to use bait to attract the fish?

There you have it. I think I got it all. Sorry about all the questions. Hope someone has time to answer some of them.

Hiya

1. I seldom cross 15 meters, and divetime is 1.15 max. Based on this, what are my chances at bluewater hunting? Are there options for divers who doesn`t dive very deep?
Most blue water hunting is done in the 5-15m depth. Pelagics tend to stay pretty close to the surface, as the waters warmer and thats also where their prey is.

2. Are there any operators in either Moz or SA ( Northwest) offering speafishing? (Mainly Moz)
VERY EXPENSIVE!! Try meeting up with some fellow spearo's and share the costs!!

3. Are there any chances for big game close to the shore?
Depends where you're diving. In Moz or in Durban area during the sardine run, yes, very large pelagics are often taken in very shallow water very close to shore. How-ever, diving from the shore is only for very experienced divers, as we often get very strong currents. Boat diving is undoubtedly a neccesatity if you're after quality fish.

4. The most commonly caught species in Norway weighs less than 20 kgs, and I suppose they act more like the species on the reef. The only thing you have to fight with is the weight of the fish. I therefore use one buoy and a 20 m line, attatched to the speargun. I`ve read about tunas pulling the hunter for over two hours. How does this work?
A single 11ltr type bouy with 20-40m of float line is adequate for most pelagics. Once you start hunting fish over 40-50kg's, like tuna, very specific float line systems is needed. Have a look at this thread, there's lots of info on tuna spearing float systems and gear:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/fish-photos-regulations/59977-chronicles-blue-water-hunter.html

5. Is it common to use bait to attract the fish?
When targetting pelagics, you need to attract the fish to you. There is no structure, only open blue water. Thats why spearo's use bait/chum to lure fish in. In sharky waters, flashers are a better option!!

Regards
miles

Thanks, Miles!

Your answers were very helpful. I have some new ones...

1. You mention that in stead of joining a chartered trip, I should try to find other spearos. How can I find them in Mozambique? I see that there are lots of clubs in SA, but I can`t find any in Moz...

2. Does anyone have any tips on good locations in Moz? Tips for both snorkelling and spearfishing are welcomed with thanks.

3. In Norway, gear is generally very expencive. How are the prices in SA? I`m concidering buying a new gun before heading home. Are there any good South African netshops where I can compare prizes?

Hello Hiawata,

Where about in Norway are you from? I lived in Norway for one year, first in Oslo and them in Hamar, wich is a lovely lake town with the Mijosa rigth next to it...

As i understand you come in July, this is not a bad time for pelagics.

Wahoo school up nice in the begging of March all the way trough April, but they tend to stay untill the end of the Winter when they school up again in groups of 4 to 8 individuals from the end of October untill November.

As for Spanish Mackerel, (the big ones), we see them now in the beggining of March and again in August untill October, (although thats the strong winds season in wich you cant go out most of the days), the small to medium size Cuda can be seen all year round.

Dog Tooth Tuna mostly in November and December, when the water is really hot...

We have Saily´s a bit troughout the whole year and the same with Marlin...

This is valid for the Maputo region where we dive in the banks around Inhaca Island, (Danae Bank, St. Maria´s Bank, etc).
Most of the dive sites here start somewhere around 11 miles of the bay and go as far as 35 miles offshore for some of the bluewater spearing spots, so a boat is defnatly necessary.
Adding to the distance there is the shark issue, (although not such a problem as most people migth think), blacktips, zambezi´s (bullsharks)and hammerheads are commonly seen around here so a boat to support the speros is in fact advisable...

I am based in Maputo, and you are welcome to come diving with me if you pass trough this area. If yoy need any further informations please feel free to contact me.

Best regards...

Nuno Dias

Here is the result of a July bluewater dive...

Attachments

• July.jpg
    July.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hi, Nuno.

I'm actually sitting on Base Backpackers right now, wishing that I'd seen you reply a little earlier... I have though caught a cold, so haven't been able to go into the water for the last week anyway. Leave for Zwasiland tomorrow.

Lived in Oslo for three years, but are now moving to the spearfishingwaters of the western parts around Molde and Kristiansund.

There are spearos resident right along the mozam coast ask at any of the bars, look for the suntanned guys with dry bleached hair, most will gladly take you out with them if you pay your way. Almost everywhere is good along the MOzam coast, sharks can be a problem in summer, dive with a buddy. Its not easy to get any spearing gear in Mozam, but I can try and find out if the local shops send gear there.

Hi, contact the guys at Salt Rock Spearfishing They are about 20mins north of Durban and you will love Ballito/Salt Rock area.
I will send you a contact number for a friend who knows everyone upo there. He's a senior cop too and that's useful for a whole lot of other reasons...

Hi, contact the guys at Salt Rock Spearfishing They are about 20mins north of Durban and you will love Ballito/Salt Rock area.
I will send you a contact number for a friend who knows everyone upo there. He's a senior cop too and that's useful for a whole lot of other reasons...

You're talking about Chris Coates and co? Great guys!! So helpful and friendly :)

продублирую от:
About pr0t0c0l
Type of Diving
Recreational FreeDiving, Spearfishing
Spearing of bottomfish illegal in Mozambique???
Hey Guys

I am going to mozambique and in doing some research I came across the following at a resort in barra's website:

"LICENCES AND PERMITS:
Boat launch license and fishing permits available in Inhambane. Spear fishing of bottom fish is punishable with fines of up to 10 000 000 Meticais (R3 000)."

Can anyone confirm this? Last I heard is that the scuba operators don't like spearos spearing reef fish, but I didn't think it was illegal.

And to make things more confusing it seems that FISHING for bottomfish is perfectly fine, which makes no sense as spearfishing is selective and you won't end up harming any species that you don't intend to eat and you don't contaminate the natural habitat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT