• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anybody Hunt in Southern California

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deeph2o86

Feb 10, 2005
I go spearfishing almost every weekend and I always welcome a new buddy or partner. I live in Southern California, and usually the spearfishing is great, but I find that when the conditions are not ideal, you always learn something new from a buddy.

I would love to go diving with you. I can't seem to find anyone to dive with, probably because I've never been diving in the ocean before. I do a lot of reading on the subject and have attended the Performanc Freediving beginner class. Maybe I can come up with one idea you haven't tried. This weekend looks bad with thunderstorms, however, I have a three-day weekend next weekend, too. Can we connect? I live in Lakewood.

hey, i dont spearfish, but if you guys are willing i would love to go diving with you guys. I can dive from ventura/santa barbara area to southern malibu. I can be a your safety, or if you want to teach a newbie to spear i am willing:)
anyways if you guys are interested let me know
thanks
rory

hey man,
I'm always down to go spearfish down here (from OC to Palos Verdes). Hopefully this rain will stop and the vis will come back. Drop me an email when you're going.
-Joshua
dctrjayyy@hotmail.com

The weather forecast doesn't look good. Rain again supposedly coming in Tuesday and Wednesday or Wed. and Thurs. D'ya think the viz might be up by the Monday holiday?

Sarge, I live in Huntington Beach -- and I prefer the .416 Rigby -- but I'm always looking for dive partners.

It's been ten years since I've been in the water, and it will be at least another month until I have all my gear ready, but if you're looking for some low key diving to get you started, we'd get along fine.

Drop me an email if you're interested. (Same goes for anyone else, too)

noel3006@verizon.net

Hi Noel,
Great case, the Rigby. I've got a .450 Rigby (currently for sale because it is about to become redundant) and y'gotta love the high results for low pressure it gives. Low key diving? Yeah! Though given the current forecast, you'll be ready about the same time the ocean is. I'm usually good any Saturday morning.

Guys, count me in for freediving as well as for firearms discussions.
( personally I prefer Accuracy International in .338 Lapua ).

I live in West LA, but would travel anywhere from Malibu to Laguna and in between. Have been freediving for a year now, never spearfished but would love to see how that is done.

my email is freedivers@gmail.com

All right, all right, it is not my intention to hijack this perfectly good diving forum into my second favorite outdoor sport. In the interest of good classification, how's 'bout we move all the firearms discussion to www.accuratereloading.com where even more learned chaps than I hang out and enliven the discussions.

Roy, I havn't forgotten about you. Still in the process of assembling my gear, but it seems to me that there ought to be enough SoCal divers that we could get a friendly little group together.

Sarge, I'll see you at the reloading site.

Noel

Great, in about a month the wheather should get a little more accomodative. Looking forward to some water time.

Hey you guys I have an Idea...

Oldsarge,quasimoto,noel,roynexus 6.

I can carry 4 people in my truck. I just got back from another trip to Baja and we had a great time. Im sure that my customer will be posting his pics on this forum as soon as he gets back home. He nailed his first ever lepoard grouper, an nice one.

Heres my Idea.

I would love to do a trip with 4 spearos that are just getting started. I would bring your guys down to Gonzaga bay in my truck leaving on a friday after work. We could meet in San Diego and I would drive down friday night to our launch site. I would have my boat there for us to use and a helper. We could dive all day on Saturday, and then on Sunday morning and then I would drive us back on sunday and we would be back on sunday night. The price would be only 200 bucks per person and would cover the fuel for the truck and boat and your hotels. You would have to buy your own food and beer. Food is about 6-8 bucks a plate at the resturant in the hotel. I have the guns for everyone to use, all you need is your freediving gear. I have taken out alot of beginners, and I dont mind teaching, and not hunting. or alot of questions. Our dive sites would be close to shore with alot of shootable, eatable fish. I know the owner of the hotel and he will cook our fish for us and my helper will clean them. We will be hunting snapper and triggerfish.

We could do this next month.

The water was 63 and vis was 20+ this trip. Now wind, no waves. Gonzaga bay is very calm, like a big lake. It would be a great place for you guys to take a go at it.

The drive is aprox 7-8hrs each way, with about 2hrs of off road(dirt road 50mph) driving to get to the spot.

You guys think about it, Im gonna go wash the grouper slime out of the back of my truck...

GTB :wave
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingguide.com

gtb,
I like the way you think. If I didn't have to pay for next month's hunt, last year's taxidermy and the new rifle currently being built, I'd be on your doorstep in a heartbeat. Let's not even talk about the possibility of next year's hunts in India and Africa. Sheesh! I may have a new part time job setting up shortly so the feasibility could increase. I've got your website bookmarked (as well as your CD to look at). As soon as I can break free of some cash, we may be able to put a group together.

No problem Sarge,

To be honest I loose money at that price anyway. I was just stoked to see my last customer have such a great time I thought I would throw that out there.

If in the future you guys want to hit up Baja, you know where to find me...

Good hunting,
GTB
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingvideos.com
PS hey sarge, have you seen the video? What did you think? I have sold hundreds and still have no reviews. Your opinion would be great!

GTB, what you propose sounds like fun.
When is the "best" time to freedive-spearfish in Baja, and for how long does your offer stands ? :)

The best times are from next month till sep. My offer for you 4 stands untill used. You guys can book seperate or together. I am already planning my next trip, a 4 day. The one I would take you guys on would be a 3 day weekend trip.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a night, teach a man to spearfish and he has alot of fun and gets to eat fish for the rest of his life.

Besides its another great excuse to go spearfishing...

GTB

Hey gtb,
I finally managed to pry my wife away from the television and got to look at your video. Though I admit that I did rerun the interview with Jay so that I could spend more time starring down Julie's blouse (all that spearfishing has been good for her lungs, don'tcherknow) the rest of the tape was both informative and encouraging. Now I have to pursue that part-time teaching position so that I can have enough cash to come down for a lesson. All that grouper, triggerfish, parrotfish, tuna . . . :p yummm!

Oldsarge your a crackup!!

The interview with Jay and Julie was shot only 6 or 7 weeks after she gave birth to her new baby girl. She had make a comment about the same thing but I was hoping the 30ft wahoo shot would be too distracting. Thanks for the review!!!!! its my first one!!!

Hey sarge, check out www.spearboard.com and look under the california reports. I have one on there for our last trip. Nice underwater pics of grouper.

Thanks for getting the video and the review!!!

hope to see ya in Baja.

GTB
www.spearfishingvideos.com
www.gonetobaja.com

hey where do you guys go spearing at here i try to hit laguna but im going to try to spear the kelp beds when the rain clears up any e-mail me back at bigboyjy@aol.com if they want to hook up and shoot some fish.

Eventually it will stop raining . . . eventually. Maybe we can hook up for a group or some pairs sometime in mid March. I really, really want to eat some fish!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT