• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone been spearfishing in NW Spain?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Den

Nov 5, 2007
Hi, I'm off to Northern Spain (Cantabria and Asturias) for the first three weeks of May. If anyone's been there for spearing then I'd love to get some pointers/ ideas/ warnings whatever before I go.

Just read about the licence thing. So no need to repeat that here. Thanks.

I've speared a lot of the basque coast and had a couple of dips in Galicia. Most of that coast is similar to the Cornish coast, lots of rocky areas, coves, secluded beaches etc. You will see many of the same species; bass, wrasse, conger, mullet, flatfish, crab, lobster etc. and some others like bream - soldier, black, gilthead. The odd corvina or two is shot and the ultimate in Spanish seafood delicacy, Percebes or Goose-Neck barnacles - worth their weight in gold. The main difference is that many top spearos fish in that part of Spain, Pepe Vina has a shop thereabouts (World class spearo). If you understand Spanish I can steer you towards some Spanish spearo forums and you can get some 'local' knowledge and maybe even a dive buddy. It is a beautiful part of Spain but well-fished by the locals. Good luck!

Great thanks, Sadly my patchy command of Spanish doesn't extend to negotiating a forum! Ive been to Asturias and Galicia before but only for surfing not spearing and never made it to the basque coast. It's reassuring to know I'll be in relatively familiar territory. Anyway your post has stoked my enthusiasm. Can't wait!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…