• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone Diving North Florida Springs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoLife

May 27, 2012
I have more information in the buddy section, but I am new to the forum and wanting to know who freedives around my area? I live in Lafayette county and usually practice in Troy springs but have a few others that are 50ft + close by. I am always looking for new places and I really would like to find someone to start practicing with being that it is stupid and dangerous to keep doing so by myself. Let me know who is interested and who dives this area.

P.S. I was also told their might be a social group in the forum for my area, if so can someone please point me in that direction.

I do occasionally, usually at Ginnie Springs over in High Springs...

Always looking for deeper/straight shot springs to dive in, what kind of hole is Troy?

Its a first magnitude spring about 30 minutes west of high springs with what I consider a large unobstructed opening with a vertical wall on one side and a gentle slope on the other. The spring is around 60ft deep now and around 75ft where it dips into the opening of a small cave (as verified by a wrist computer on a scuba diver the other day). It flows into the suwannee river that is extremely low right now, but the spring is clear and still flowing. I am usually there on week days to beat the crowds and because I have a weird work schedule. Let me know if you head that way sometime.

Thought I would give anyone who is heading to this area to dive the springs a heads up. Troy is closed until tomorrow due to storm damage, Royal springs is not flowing, covered in algae and all of Peacocks sinks are covered in algae. The Suwannee river is really low, but do to the rain from the storm we should see a rise in the water level in about two weeks or so. Just thought I would give a springs report like people due for the gulf. I would hate to know someone drove hours to get here to only have no place nice to dive.

Last edited:
I live in tallahassee ive been diving the sinkholes around the area, found one thats 120ft deep looking for new spots/diving buddies

I live in tallahassee ive been diving the sinkholes around the area, found one thats 120ft deep looking for new spots/diving buddies

Well Im not close but also not far either. About a hour and a half from you if you ever want to head this way and dive Troy springs. I also spearfish in the Gulf, sometimes close to your area. If you spearfish, hit me up.

yea dude im real into spearfishing, never speared or dove in the gulf but im all for it. my gun is in miami but if you wanted to get a trip together i'll just buy a hawaiian sling

Well Im not close but also not far either. About a hour and a half from you if you ever want to head this way and dive Troy springs. I also spearfish in the Gulf, sometimes close to your area. If you spearfish, hit me up.

yea dude im real into spearfishing, never speared or dove in the gulf but im all for it. my gun is in miami but if you wanted to get a trip together i'll just buy a hawaiian sling

It might be to far out if your way but I'm going to freedive blue spring tomorrow morning around 10am. Its about a 2 and a half hour drive for me from the south, maybe less from your area.. .not sure.

I have more information in the buddy section, but I am new to the forum and wanting to know who freedives around my area? I live in Lafayette county and usually practice in Troy springs but have a few others that are 50ft + close by. I am always looking for new places and I really would like to find someone to start practicing with being that it is stupid and dangerous to keep doing so by myself. Let me know who is interested and who dives this area.

P.S. I was also told their might be a social group in the forum for my area, if so can someone please point me in that direction.

Spearo, there used to be a freediving and underwater hockey club in Gainesville, but I've lost touch with them. I used to dive often and have recently gotten back into it with my son; Troy is our usual haunt, but also dive Ginnie and Ichetucknee Blue Hole. Blue Hole is near you and fun, though an overhead environment. I'd be glad to let you know whenever we can make it up there, and perhaps plan some other dives as well. Send me a PM and we can exchange contact info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT