• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone from Southern Alberta here?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Salvelinus

Jun 8, 2008
Hey everyone, was wondering if there's anyone on this forum from Southern Alberta? I'm in Lethbridge and the extent of my freediving experience is occasionally diving (no more than 10') when snorkeling reefs in Hawaii.
Anyone want to show a newbie the ropes? I'd like to get into freediving and spearing safely and properly. I am frequently in Canmore, Rocky Mtn House and Vancouver if anyone is from those areas. I'm pretty basic on gear at the moment (snorkel, mask and fins).

Hi Salvelinus,

There are a few of us in Edmonton. Not sure about Calgary people anymore. I go down to Lethbridge and visit my parents occasionally. I have dove several areas down there in the past. I will be in Calgary for several weeks. I plan on going to Minnewanka by Banff to freedive while there. If you are up in Canmore we could do some diving then. You will need a wetsuit though. I may be able to lend you one depending on your size. Also, you could venture up here to dive with the guys around Edmonton this summer. There is a really nice spot for diving south of Edmonton.

lee

Sounds good Lee. What thickness open-cell wetsuit do you guys generally use in our freshwater lakes?

I'm going to be in Edmonton the first week in July if anyone will be around then.
Cheers
Will

At least a 5 mm suit for most lakes. Sometimes 7 mm is nicer for longer water time. In the warmest time in summer, some lakes will let you get away with a 3 mm. If you only had one suit for diving around here it would probably be a 5 mm custom fit open cell suit.

I will still be in Calgary the first week in July.

do you have a wetsuit, gloves, socks, weight?
what size are you?
I just want to know if I should bring down extra stuff to Calgary with me? I am leaving tonight. thanks.

I'll be getting back from the coast on July 1st or so, let me know and we can hook up. I also have spare gear that you can use.

Hey Lee, and Will look me up when you get here. I don't get out as much anymore but still training at least once a week in the pool. Jeremy has also been around once in awhile. It would be great to have an excuse to get out to the lakes. Neither of us are spearos tho so we'll just be site seeing. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you guys my contact info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT