• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

anyone know good spearfishing places?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearfisherman

Apr 24, 2011
hi all. this sunday i am thinking of going spearfishing and i dont really know any good spots ive been spearfishing in manly but not anywhere else i am thinkinh of either going narrabean lake or clifton gardens. Does anyone know any good places in sydney?? :confused:

cheer's scott

Reactions: Mr. X
If you can't get any "beta" from the locals, try on-line maps (like Bing.com). Once you have identified some potential areas (e.g. rocky bay/head-land with reasonable access), the aerial images can sometimes be useful in checking what is there before you set off with all your gear and expectations. ;)

[Wow, you got the spearfisherman member name - surprised that was still available after all these years.]

in your area I reckon Long Reef is a great place for a spear. But keep in mind that the surfs been pounding recently so be careful with your entries and exits. Maybe try the harbour if its really big. Never been in at Clifton Gardens but Middle Head is good.

Hi,
I'm in capetown South Africa, and I have only been spearing in the false bay area. I was thinking of going through to sea point / camps bay this weekend. any good places I should look out for ?
(this will be shore entries)

Hi Johann,

If you are used to diving False Bay then the Atlantic side (Camps Bay etc) could possibly be a bit of a let down. The main specie you will be able to target in that area would be Hotties. There are also some Galjoen around there but the season is closed at the moment so currently you may only shoot them with a camera.:)

If you explore the rocky outcroppings, for example to the left of the main Camps Bay beach and swim right to the back, you should be able to find some nice schools of medium sized Hotties with the odd larger one in between.

Quite a bit of South Easterly wind predicted for the weekend and not too much swell so you could have some good visibility.

Good luck

in your area I reckon Long Reef is a great place for a spear. But keep in mind that the surfs been pounding recently so be careful with your entries and exits. Maybe try the harbour if its really big. Never been in at Clifton Gardens but Middle Head is good.

When about at Middle Head is good?
Because I want to go I just dont know where

I used to spear off Bluefish point (Eastern point of North Head) all the time. Loads of big kingies, and depending on water temp bonito/tuna. Middle head has a ledge out by the cardinal markers but hit and miss with schools. Avalon Head has nice features as well.

Reactions: JackDruce
The cardinal markers are out of Dobroyd Head. You’d need a boat but there is a nice ledge that runs along beneath the east marker. Bluefish is a great spot, I used to climb down the cliff from the top car park by the works but you could swim around from the back of the Shelly beach car park. Make sure you use a float. It’s beautiful diving. Depth drops of from about 10m hence the good fish that can be found there.

Thanks so much for that

do you have any other beginer spots that you like around sydney

For pure freediving practice there’s always loads to see off Fairlight beach and the depth gradually increases so it’s good for practice. Another good spot is old mans hat. Walk down the wall half way along north head. The diving out there is beautiful. Not sure what the spearing laws are like off there these days. I think it may be protected, worth checking first. Same said for South Head but it’s a bit of a shlep to get to. And North Avalon headland is a great spot just check exits and entries and the rip can get strong on the out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT