• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone..nr Me

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nomad1966

see I love the sea
Oct 30, 2005
Hi anyone in my area...northyorkshire-cleveland, Im just startin out and would realy like some sound advice and help finding places to go. :vangry

nomad1966 said:
Hi anyone in my area...northyorkshire-cleveland, Im just startin out and would realy like some sound advice and help finding places to go. :vangry

Hi Nomad, I am not from the area but I might be up in York over Christmas. Was hoping to dive Dorset today but missed the promising weather (best day for a month it feels like) taking care of family business. So I may be biting at the bit to get out.

Often we head to somewhere on the coast for a day: Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay or Scaraborough. I have never speared up there though. I reckon Robin Hood's Bay ought to be worth a look. In the 1950's people travelled to Scarborough from all over the world (often in fancy yachts) to do big game fishing. No kidding. They landed giant blue fin tuna (supposedly now an endangered species, Worldwide) upto 900lb! Before you break out your 150cm railgun or bluewater cannon, you should know they are no longer there -- overfishing of their food, herring, apparently put pay to that. [Although I heard recently that herring might be making a comeback. Ironically, perhaps that is why the sea birds in Scotland are struggling this year to find enough sandeels -- a favoured food of sea birds & herring.].

Hi mr X thanks for the info, Im just new to spearo really but have always fished in some way or other. I intend to try all the places you mentioned in the summer but right now Im really waiting for my new suit to arrive so I can get out in the sea( its cold up here for the old 3mm), as I only live 50 meters or so from it. I intend to fish my local area as long as I can stand the sea temp.
Its nice to find such a nice community on the net, I intend to by a new speargun from spearo.co.uk real soon as the one I have was loned to me by a fisherman friend, I think he got it out of curiosity lol...I used to snorkel around the area where I live and now think that graduating from using nets,pots and lines is overdue.. Im not getting any younger...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT