• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

anyone out there missing a leg

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freediver7

Jun 9, 2004
Last week a friend told me the local fisherman were landing 40 lb halibut. News of local monster halibut had me intrigued and concerned.
Could I land such a fish with my small reef gun? My halibut hunting technique has been to pin them to the bottom, and grasp the spear tip on the other side before the fish got too eager.

This works for smaller fish up to 20 lb......would it work on a 40 lb monster? Could such a large fish could drown me, break my arm or pummel me before I subdued it? I am an average diver. I figured I would never see such a fish.

Never say never!

I was diving last night for Halibut when my light panned across a large tail protruding from the sand. My first thought was a big Angel Shark. They are great on the BBQ. They should always be shot in the head because they bite. I moved my light across the sand to find the shark's head and score 20 lbs of fish tacos but what I found was a huge halibut head!

My heart jumped through my throat.

I thought, Oh crap....how am I going to land this Barn Door Betty?

I floated back to the surface and assessed my options: I could:
1) shoot it now & hope the best,
2) Shoot and pin it and plan to take a beating
3) Wait for my dive buddy Tim to lend me a hand if something goes wrong.

I chose 1) shoot it now a hope the best.

I took a breath and descended on the halibut and sunk the shaft of my Rob Allen 90 in the middle of the fish. The fish took off, for a few seconds. The shooting line raced from my reel and the shaft fell out because sand jammed the flopper shut.

(Note to self: Rob Allen floppers are useless in the sand.)
A few minutes later Tim and I met up as he worked his way across the reef.

I told him about the halibut. He asked if I had seen a prosthetic leg washing around the sand. How this leg got on a reef at 20 feet is a mystery to me! The owner would notice a missing leg. Either a fisherman flipped his kayak & lost it....or a one legged guy tried body surfing.....or it popped off a dead guy.

I tried not to think about the dead guy too much.
We continued on our respective dives scanning the bottom for halibut. The water below me glowed from Tim's dive light. I took a breath and dropped to the bottom. I swam towards a large back lit rock as Tims scanned for halibut on the other side. I spotted a nice halibut on my side of the rock just as Tim rounded the corner. For a second, I entertained the thought of letting him shoot it. I pulled the trigger sank the spear home and grabbed the fish, which promptly started whacking my head with its tail. Tim watched me float over the rocks while wrestling the halibut to the surface.
Tim went home with a three pound spot fin croaker.

I went home with a filet knife,
a prosthetic leg,

......and a 16 lb halibut.
.......anyone out there missing a leg?

---------------------
The rest of the story.
The leg was lost by a war veteran named Rick Frich on week before I found it.

Rick an avid fisherman was launching his kayak to fishing the kelp. He pulled his loaded Kayak in to the surf zone. A set of waves turned the kayak side ways and flipped it as Rich tried to get on. Rick waited for the set to pass before trying to stand up. He realized that his prosthetic leg had washed away. Life guards were summoned to help him out of the water and recover his gear. The lifeguards recovered most of his fishing gear but could not find the prosthetic leg. The life guards helped Rick to his car and load his Kayak. The veterans’ administration informed Rick they could have a replacement leg for him in June of 2007. He left a notice with the La Jolla Life guards lost and found incase the prosthetic leg was found.

A week later Ser. Bender of the La Jolla Life Guards and Member of the San Diego Freedivers heard about a prosthetic leg. He found the rightfu owner through his network. Ser. Bender arranged for Rick and the me to meet at the Bay park fish house to hand off the leg.

Last edited:
What a brilliant trip report

Thanks!

Huw.

Great report freediver7.
How do you cook your halibut? May be a recipe?

i say mount the leg on the wall if nobody claims it, it'll make a great convo starter !!

podge said:
Great report freediver7.
How do you cook your halibut? May be a recipe?

Halibut are best tenderised first, ideally with a plastic leg!

Nice leg and the shoe looks just like one of a pair that I lost a while ago, uuumm I wonder….

Mr stumpy was starting to smell ripe so I hung the leg from a tree to dry out. It gave my yard a creepy cannibal feel. As though I were aging that body part for a future meal. Moving the leg to my living room didn't help either. It gave me the creeps. It looked like a bad omen, as though the fake leg were waiting for my real leg fall of. So I handed Mr Stumpy over to the life guards’ lost and found.

Not as many as you’ve got over there or half as big.
We get the odd Mako and Porbeagle but that’s about it, mind you saying that its enough for me.
On another note myself and a couple of mates are possibly coming over to your part of the world next year to try and catch (and release) a Great White and maybe a Tiger, do you know anybody who would offer fishing boat charter for that sort of thing?

Havent looked into it meself yet but Im sure it could be organised, Ill speak to some folks and see who knows someone, will post tomorrow as Im goin to a club meeting tonight so Ill see what I can find out for you. Weve got a few people who run charters there, but I almost want to say that being a protected species your not allowed to go after them deliberately unless its for research purposes, but you could always catch one by accident
When your here drop me a line though and well see about organising a dive and who knows maybe even some fishes on the spear and coals, when do you plan on comin this way.

Last edited:
Not sure yet, we had a trip to Namibia for the Bronze Whalers booked but that’s been cancelled as apparently there are not to many there this season. That trip was for late January but not to sure about the best time of year to visit South Africa for the sharks we want. Any info would be great.
Paul

This time up to id say about mid march is good I think as during this time they are closer to the shore following spring and summer feeding patterns, also a good time to hit them could probably be the sardine run as most types of shark and other pelagics follow the sardines during this time, thats between June and September and may vary so you might have to wait for them to come in, Im including a link on that http://www.drakensberg-tourism.com/sardine-run-south-africa.html .
Ill find out a bit more about time of year and so forth tonight as I said earlier.

:friday The leg has been returned to its Owner, it was lost by a war veteran named Rick Frich who lost it the week before

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…