• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

anyone playing with gopro3 black?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
you mean update? i update my gopro last week once i received it any new updates?

All best

pro tunes works amazing on video, but havent been using it cause it can cause random delays and stoppages when filming but often still use the pro tune filter in cinaform when doing ruff cuts, heres a few screen grabs off video i shot this morning

Great footage!

Reactions: Salehthefish
on pro tunes setting there are delays and shutdown issues period u just gotta work with them if u wanna use that. have not had any issues like that tho. In my opinion the camera function is not great on the the 3black but the video is amazing. I noticed on the go-pro Facebook page that all the nice pictures posted are almost all shot with the hd2 not the new cameras might be nice if they created dedicated cameras for each one just really good video and one just still at a higher megapix. Eventually might be nice to have a high end slr and mount the black to it for shooting video as I take still and the bigger housing would make smoother video but then again it would mean dragging a big camera around

on pro tunes setting there are delays and shutdown issues period u just gotta work with them if u wanna use that. have not had any issues like that tho. In my opinion the camera function is not great on the the 3black but the video is amazing. I noticed on the go-pro Facebook page that all the nice pictures posted are almost all shot with the hd2 not the new cameras might be nice if they created dedicated cameras for each one just really good video and one just still at a higher megapix. Eventually might be nice to have a high end slr and mount the black to it for shooting video as I take still and the bigger housing would make smoother video but then again it would mean dragging a big camera around

I can't wait to take mine underwater but so far I am amazed with what this little toy can do. Update was a breeze compared to some horror stories out there and every function works, I have all resolutions displayed in settings menu. The only disappointment for me at this point is that my "supercomputer" turned out not to be so powerful. It takes really powerful system to handle 4K, 2.7K even 1080p60. This was more of a experimenting and playing really since I am sticking with 1080p30 anyway with occasional 60p and maybe 48p

Definitely low light is improved, housing lock was nice update, also better audio. Just can't think of anything I don't like about this camera right now

Hey buddy you got nice pics there Dolphins u r Lucky!!!

These are some pics i got from my gopro 3 black... Note that i got it stuck while video in the sea on the first use while it was loading the video mode after the battery shut down i charged it and i took the pics (Not video shots) in the pool.

GOPR0043_zps90a4a308.jpg

GOPR0029_zps80ba3457.jpg

GOPR0004_zps7927b643.jpg

for resolution i love it but hope that camera stuck is one time thing and will never happen again...

All best

Hmm, somehow these pictures don't look too good, not sure if it's the light but they seem out of focus too

yea my macbook has to work very hard on the 1240p and 1080-60 i've been just sticking with 1080-60 cause i figure why bother shooting higher def than my screen and most others are even able of fully viewing plus I shoot almost daily i'd have to spend a fortune on extra drives to store 4k video. plus as it is the black has about 1/3 the battery life as the hd2 and the more the camera has to work the faster the battery dies.

I never used the hero3 but on the hero2, 720p@60fps give a much better video (even when stretched to 1080p) then 1080p@30fps.
My general idea is that unless you're watching in a big @ss TV, 720p in fine and the higher fps produces a much crisper video (even when stretched to 1080)
The biggest screen i used was my 24" Imac.
so in the black i would use 720 @ 120 instead of 1080 @ 60 (but for most 720 @ 60 instead of 1080 @ 30 would be enough)
I'm I thinking wrong?

the higher frame rates do seem much much smoother right now i like 1080-60 and 720-120 i shot at 240 as well and its rediculous how smooth that is but u give up allot of definition u can get really descent slo mo off 120 too 240 is almost too slow
I never used the hero3 but on the hero2, 720p@60fps give a much better video (even when stretched to 1080p) then 1080p@30fps.
My general idea is that unless you're watching in a big @ss TV, 720p in fine and the higher fps produces a much crisper video (even when stretched to 1080)
The biggest screen i used was my 24" Imac.
so in the black i would use 720 @ 120 instead of 1080 @ 60 (but for most 720 @ 60 instead of 1080 @ 30 would be enough)
I'm I thinking wrong?

the protunes setting adds quality as well but u have to deal with accasional delays or shut offs. this is not a problem if ur taking time to set up a shot but if ur in the water and see something cool and have one short chance to capture it then not worth risking the protunes

More frames per second is better for slow motion but requires more light. 1080p30 is the setting of choice for underwater video because 60p is simply too dark, maybe fine under surface on sunny day but at depth there will be too much noise.
At least that was the case with Hero2, GoPro3 has better low light capability. I just did 1080 60p low light shot and it looks decent but I am sure 120fps You can forget. It will work great on skiing video, on snow with plenty light even 240fps is possible but not underwater

More frames per second is better for slow motion but requires more light. 1080p30 is the setting of choice for underwater video because 60p is simply too dark, maybe fine under surface on sunny day but at depth there will be too much noise.
At least that was the case with Hero2, GoPro3 has better low light capability. I just did 1080 60p low light shot and it looks decent but I am sure 120fps You can forget. It will work great on skiing video, on snow with plenty light even 240fps is possible but not underwater
but would that be compensated by the small def?
I compared 1080 @ 30 and 720 @ 60 (and not 1080 30 and 1080 60)...
I don't have a lot of experience with it but from my tests, at the same fps, 1080 had more noise then 720.
thanks for the good info.

but would that be compensated by the small def?
I compared 1080 @ 30 and 720 @ 60 (and not 1080 30 and 1080 60)...
I don't have a lot of experience with it but from my tests, at the same fps, 1080 had more noise then 720.
thanks for the good info.

No, it has nothing to do with resolution - noise comes from sensor when there's not enough light. 1080 in good lighting conditions should looks crisp.

You must make comparison tests like this in the same light, maybe Your shots were from two different days or different light. Nevertheless, 720p60 is good setting, either one should look great if there's enough light but at the bottom plate 1080p30 will be better

Last edited:
if u want the most out of the censor the protune setting is raw data from the censor at the fastest processing rate. allot has to do with how u process and edit aftervthe fact to doesnt mater how great the definition is if u compress the hell out of evertthing later. these cameras were made to accomodate proffesionals in tv and film who were using them more and more and they have high powered editing studios to process everything this camera is actually ahead of its time a bit cause its a bit stronger than the average consumers ability to fully use it the good news being it will be a relevant tool for quite some time i think
No, it has nothing to do with resolution - noise comes from sensor when there's not enough light. 1080 in good lighting conditions should looks crisp.

You must make comparison tests like this in the same light, maybe Your shots were from two different days or different light. Nevertheless, 720p60 is good setting, either one should look great if there's enough light but at the bottom plate 1080p30 will be better

here's some screen grabs from video i shot this morning 1080-60 at about 40ft depth very crisp the older go-pro,s would have struggled to focus and been somewhat washed around that depth

Attachments

• fishyswarm6.jpg
    fishyswarm6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 155
  • fishyswarm1.jpg
    fishyswarm1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 160
  • fishyswarm4.jpg
    fishyswarm4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 157
  • fishyswarm5.jpg
    fishyswarm5.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 157
  • fishyswarms.jpg
    fishyswarms.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 154
BTW shot some photo too and all garbage don't understand why the photo setting isn't at least the same quality as the video stills should be better not worse the video focuses and reads light 100 times better ??????

The more I play with this camera the more I like it. I can't go diving at the moment so no uw footage from me yet but I did some low light tests home. Very low light actually and let me say this, even though not great it's definitely acceptable, additionally it is kind of video that would be impossible with Hero2.

This is so promising for depth I just can't wait to take it underwater for my next video.

Below short video where all footage with hamster spinning the wheel was taken at night in a room with 3x60W bulbs, that's very low light in my book

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw2Ul4dO0MA]Power up the Sun - YouTube[/ame]

Funny stuff, nice work! it look like you got a bunch of cool toys there!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT