• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone run into Orcas\Killer whales!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Darkonos

Jan 29, 2012
That would be pretty freaky... Has anyone run into a 6 gill or a macho shark in British Columbia waters? Tell your story, would love to hear it.

Just last week a school of Orcas travelled up the Southern California coast. The whale watching boats went nuts and were sold out. A passenger even got a video of them eating a sea lion right under the boat. However, I didn't hear of anyone getting into the water next to them, but people have during other times that they showed up.

In the San Diego area, sightings of 7- gill sharks seem to be getting more frequent, and divers have lost their fish to them.

I joined a school of "false killer whales" in azores. They were friendly for a wile, they are smaller than orcas and all black. They had a smaller one and at some point the mom (i guess) got in between, showed me the teeth and did a flip close enough for me to call the boat to pick me up. I was wearing a silver suit that made me look like a tasty sardin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-36796807
We have a site on Facebook which was started up out of wildlife interest so when any member of the public see a whale they put up a post or photo. Last year after i was out in the water got home and later logged into Facebook to find that Orca's had been half a Mile or 0804672 KM from where i was freediving but the woman in the link came a hell of alot closer the Bull Orca charged her

Last edited:
There's a company called arctic freediving now that actually takes people out to dive with orcas, humpbacks and whatever else you may find. They take you out for a few days on a sailboat from Norway. If you google arctic freediving/Jacques de vos you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff, I am so glad that the water parks are seeing the light and have realised that keeping these animals in captivity is just outright cruel (y)

Just recently I was snorkeling/freediving in the mediterranean sea and i could clearly hear whale song in the distance. I could not see any whales but at one point it was quite clear and loud. It would fade on and off for 10 minutes or so with some clicking sounds and lots of whissles. It sounded like killer whales or dolphins. My gopro was filming the whole time and I put it on youtube. Not sure what it was but I bet it was orca or dolphin

This is what i took a few weeks ago. What do you think it is? I never see any whales but the sound gets quite clear. Only thing the gopro didn't pick up well were the clicking noises. There was a lot of those. This was in south Sardenia so i assumed these had to be dolphins since i never heard of orca in the mediterranean. But at the aqua museum there they told me Orca do live in the mediterranean and are seen every once in a while

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT