• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anyone use this?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dr. Hawk

Jul 26, 2011
Hey,

So after months of free-diving, it turns out my Water-Resistant Citzen Eco Drive is not to happy with that kind of abuse. Condensation has built up inside it, and the thing failed this morning, but I got it restarted. I am looking to get a better Dive Watch, and I found this.

Watch Details for 20TH ANNIVERSARY AQUALAND | Citizen Eco-Drive

Anyone have one or something similar? Just want to feel out some products...

I just bought Casio SPF-60, brand new for 160$. Still in the mail. They are out of produciton though. I still couldn't figure out the way to browse watch models so that I clearly see which one has depth gauge and which ones are only a "diving timepiece".

Hey,

So after months of free-diving, it turns out my Water-Resistant Citzen Eco Drive is not to happy with that kind of abuse. Condensation has built up inside it, and the thing failed this morning, but I got it restarted. I am looking to get a better Dive Watch, and I found this.

Watch Details for 20TH ANNIVERSARY AQUALAND | Citizen Eco-Drive

Anyone have one or something similar? Just want to feel out some products...

looks cool but expensive, for that price you could get a real freedive watch. Check out the Aeris F10 or the Suunto D4.

The bottom line (so-to-speak) with Citizen & Casio watches is, that all their true dive watches are rated "water resistant 200 m" and their mixed gas dive watches are rated "water resistant 300 m"

The water resistant 100 m watches will survive going underwater to some sort of depth, usually less than 30 m, in spite of what the labelling states, but going deeper than some relatively shallow depth will flood them. I've known them to fail at even shallow depths (one that failed at about 10 m comes to mind)

Also, on digital water resistant 100 m watches you can't operate any buttons underwater. Doing so at any sort of depth greater than a few metres can lead to flooding.

OTOH, some 100 m watches are probably under-rated. My son has a 100 m Timex that he's taken down to >40 m with no problems. Taking 100 m watches down is a bt of a lottery, it would seem.

Anyhow, I used several of the Citizen Aqualand watch models at depth, operating buttons, and have had no problems with any of them. They are real dive watches. Also, FWIW, the depth guage function is very accurate, but the thermometer function is not extremely accurate.

There is also the Casio Duro 200 line of watches, which are true dive watches. I have the MDV-701-1A1V model, have operated the buttons at depth, and had no problem.

CASIO MDV-701-1A1V DURO 200 marine computer metal black ring strap

This watch has an amazingly accurate thermometer, good to +/- 0.2°C, as measured against a laboratory thermometer.

I've tested a couple of Citizen Aqualands against a lab thermometer, and they seem to be accurate to +/-2°C. I guess that's good enough to tell whether you should use a 3 mm or 5 mm suit or not.

Last edited:
The bottom line (so-to-speak) with Citizen & Casio watches is, that all their true dive watches are rated "water resistant 200 m" and their mixed gas dive watches are rated "water resistant 300 m"

The water resistant 100 m watches will survive going underwater to some sort of depth, usually less than 30 m, in spite of what the labelling states, but going deeper than some relatively shallow depth will flood them. I've known them to fail at even shallow depths (one that failed at about 10 m comes to mind)

Also, on digital water resistant 100 m watches you can't operate any buttons underwater. Doing so at any sort of depth greater than a few metres can lead to flooding.

OTOH, some 100 m watches are probably under-rated. My son has a 100 m Timex that he's taken down to >40 m with no problems. Taking 100 m watches down is a bt of a lottery, it would seem.

Anyhow, I used several of the Citizen Aqualand watch models at depth, operating buttons, and have had no problems with any of them. They are real dive watches. Also, FWIW, the depth guage function is very accurate, but the thermometer function is not extremely accurate.

There is also the Casio Duro 200 line of watches, which are true dive watches. I have the MDV-701-1A1V model, have operated the buttons at depth, and had no problem.

CASIO MDV-701-1A1V DURO 200 marine computer metal black ring strap

This watch has an amazingly accurate thermometer, good to +/- 0.2°C, as measred against a laboratory thermometer.

Wow thanks for the review!

I think looking at price/features/reviews is ok but before spending any cash you need ask yourself what you need the dive watch/computer for - comparing some of the above options is like comparing apples with oranges.

If you are more serious about Freediving, diving deep, doing comps etc I would buy a proper diving computer ie make sure it has alarms, can be connected with a PC to download dive profiles, surface intervals etc.

The rest of the fancy dive watches (like the tissot I own) are fancy, look ok (so can wear them as an everyday watch, hence the inflated price often) but their functionality is limited; sure, they'll tell you basic info like the depth, temp etc and even log some dives but in my opinion they lack for serious/competitive Freediving.

IF you are mainly freediving recreationally for fun and/or are a beginner, to be honest I would even question whether you need anything. The downside of using one as a beginner is that you get too fixated on numbers instead of relaxation, technique and body awareness. Using numbers (eg depth, time) to determine when you should've coming up etc when diving recreationally can be riskier than using no dive computer at all in my opinion.

I have to say the Xen packs some great features - again on my point above about fancy diving watches; they're impossible to read easily and the last thing you want to be doing is squinting to read it while freediving!

If I was any good at freediving, I'd definitely buy it :)

I think looking at price/features/reviews is ok but before spending any cash you need ask yourself what you need the dive watch/computer for - comparing some of the above options is like comparing apples with oranges.

If you are more serious about Freediving, diving deep, doing comps etc I would buy a proper diving computer ie make sure it has alarms, can be connected with a PC to download dive profiles, surface intervals etc.

The rest of the fancy dive watches (like the tissot I own) are fancy, look ok (so can wear them as an everyday watch, hence the inflated price often) but their functionality is limited; sure, they'll tell you basic info like the depth, temp etc and even log some dives but in my opinion they lack for serious/competitive Freediving.

IF you are mainly freediving recreationally for fun and/or are a beginner, to be honest I would even question whether you need anything. The downside of using one as a beginner is that you get too fixated on numbers instead of relaxation, technique and body awareness. Using numbers (eg depth, time) to determine when you should've coming up etc when diving recreationally can be riskier than using no dive computer at all in my opinion.

I hear you completely. I only eyed the Citizen because as stated I am already familiar with their products. I am no competition diver, but I would like to know the watch works for simple stuff, and looks decent. As for a dive computer, I'll invest in one of those for WHEN I DO reach that level. Regardless thank you for your points!

a good computer is a great investment. I would certainly buy one BEFORE fancy fins or a slick suit.

It will help you progress, safely. I still love looking at my dive profiles when I got serious (2007) and compare them to today's. The fact that I had a watch at the start was a great impetus to improve, and gives me a great perspective as to where I am going. We'll for lunch now, actually, but you see the point?

Definitely see your point Simon - especially if the choice is spending less and getting something that won't do the job vs saving up and getting something that can actually help; I know what I would go for if I was more serious about improving my freediving.

When I first saw the level of detail on the sampling on a decent dive computer that you guys are posting on here, being able to see strokes etc the difference between my gimmicky tissot and those was apparent. A friend of mine has a citizen dive watch (no idea which one, it's a bit old) and it's in the same bucket as the tissot.

On a side note I do need a new watch anyway. So it cant hurt to buy one. However are there dive computers that tell time as well? Good for everydayuse/toorisky? etc?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT