• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Walking

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Apnea walking... For how long?

• 30 sec - 45 sec

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • 45 sec - 1 min

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • 1 min - 1:15 min

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • 1:15 min - 1:30 min

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • 1:30 min - 1:45 min

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • 1:45 min - 2 min

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • 2 min - 2:15 min

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • 2:15 min - 2:30 min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2:30 min - 2:45 min

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 2:45 min - 3 min

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 3+ min

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
The longest apnea walk I heard of was 202m in something like 2'10" by a dutch guy. Never tried a max myself, although I once did a 1'05" apnea walk on FRC.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

there isnt a formula to convert apnea walking into constant weight is there?

I would guess that the amount of time you can apnea-walk for, is around the same amount of time you can dive for, or maybe a bit less. So, if you can apnea walk for 2'00", I would expect that you could dive for perhaps 2'30"....

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

FRC= Functional Residual Capacity, is the volume of air in your lungs after a normal, not forceful, exhale.

I have found difficult to relax while apnea walking, the max I have done is 1´30", but I have done 2´30" in water.

I only made 1´of apnea walking in FRC

Thanks for the info :D

I will have to give that a try.

I have a 4 storey house. I normally do a breathe up in the top floor. Walk all the way down to basement. Do a short aspetto and walk all the way back up. Its very similar to my fishing profile.

You can do it on the staircase in a block of flats too and really push it.

try not to black out around dangerous furnitures. I learned that hard way... Next try will be in the football field;)

yes sir :D

Or wear a crash helmet.

Snorkelbum you are welcome to do some of your artwork ;)

This survey makes me feel real good about myself. I’ve done 2’56”! I’m quite sure I eclipsed the 202 meters of the dutch guy as well, because my pace is about 100 yards per minute. But so far it hasn’t translated into big wet dynamics. Just 85 meters.:waterwork The problem, at least its what I’m telling myself, is I don’t practice wet dynamics enough. That should all change next April when our city opens a year-around pool ½ miles away!

I’ve determined that walking apnea is not using as much muscle as fining. To try and simulate it closer I now walk with an exercise cord stretched between the angles. When going forward its works the quads and hip-flexers in a matter similar to fining. I make my return lap going backwards which gives the hamstrings and glutes a good workout in a motion similar to fining. So far I have managed 2'06" with the exercise cord.

All of these times, without and with exercise cord, have been with arms above the head in the dive position. The trick for me that I have found to get long apena walks, is to change the path for the last 1/3 of the walk. The different scenery is enough to occupy the mind away from the pain and time. Unfortunately that won’t work with wet dynamics. Can you imagine what they would do if you suddenly left your lane and starting swimming across the width of the pool! :D
don

Last edited:
I am not sure how to answer this one as I have tried apnea walking a few different ways- take a breath and walk, hold my breath for a minute and then walk, hold my breath for two minutes and then walk- and still end up with the same time in motion.

No matter which way I try it I always end up with about a max of 1 minute of actual walking. That means I have done 3 minutes of apnea, but only the last minute was actually spent walking. I found it interestng that this was about the same as my walking on a simple breath hold, without the static ahead of time.

Part of this could be because I do my breath hold walking, with out the statics, while going out for a walk with my daughter and my dog. I walk and breath, hold and walk, repeat. When I do a static first, I am by myself, on a grass field, and do more of a breath up first.

Jon

I display the same results as Jon - I regularly do an exercise with 3' repetitions of:

1' FRC apnea
about 1' walking (down hill and back to starting point - I call this 'hill diving')
1' recovery

However even without the 1' hold I can't walk for much more than 1' on FRC.

I had an intresting apnea walk a few weeks ago.

I had done two warm up breathholds and was getting ready for a big one.

I packed, walked a few steps - got dizzy - and stoped and bent my head forward as I usually do to get out of the dizzyness - only this time I wake up lying down - still holding my breath - fine - I stand up and continue to walk (I found out only a few seconds was spent unconcious) - I walk 50 meter - turn and walk back to my original position in just over two minutes.

Sebastian

The last 30 seconds

Every time that I have hit a PB, it has been after plateauing at some distance (e.g. 50 yds no fins, 75 yds with fins) and then committing to turning around and sprinting one additional length (e.g. to 75 and 100 respectively).

It seems like, under favorable conditions, you can generally tap into a 30 second "all out" reserve in a dynamic -- which corresponds nicely to the duration of effort associated with the alactic anaerobic energy cycle. In fact, I could have gone much farther in the w/ fins pb, and maybe it's not a coincidence that the last lap only took 13 seconds.

Another nice side-effect is that sprinting at the end seems to reduce the urge to breathe.

BTW, I suspect that sprinting at the end of a dynamic causes a sharp increase in O2 debt at the end of the dive and is incredibly dangerous w/o a spotter.

Reactions: mmingo
Originally posted by fpernett
FRC= Functional Residual Capacity, is the volume of air in your lungs after a normal, not forceful, exhale.

I have found difficult to relax while apnea walking, the max I have done is 1´30", but I have done 2´30" in water.

I only made 1´of apnea walking in FRC

I have also a max of 1´30", and around 50 seconds with FRC. But I have never done apnea walking in water..:p
So what discipline have you done ´2´30" with??
When i did a 50 meter DNF i used around 1 minute... I think that is the record for me while swimming underwater.:head

What?? I didnt see this coming... more than 20 people has voted for the 3min+ mark.. This confirms how I suck in apnea walking.. With my time of 1:30 im not even close...
For those who has checked for the 3min+ please post what your max apnea walking time is.

Kingohyes,
You don’t suck. The same thing happens to ever type of performance poll on db. When I posted on the second day of the poll most of the voters where right around the 1:30 mark. There was one 3+ and one in the 2:45 to 3:00. Then the fathom unbelievables started posting. :naughty Just like they have in the static PB and dynamic without fins polls. :naughty

I remember some computer literate person saying there was probably a way to trick the system into allowing multiple votes per person. You should make your own poll from the people who post (not vote). That would probably be truer. ;)
don

Originally posted by kingohyes
I have also a max of 1´30", and around 50 seconds with FRC. But I have never done apnea walking in water..:p
So what discipline have you done ´2´30" with??
When i did a 50 meter DNF i used around 1 minute... I think that is the record for me while swimming underwater.:head

No, I didn't mean to do apnea walking in water (but it was part of colombian competitions long ago).

My point was that while apnea walking I can't relax as in water. With the 2'30" I refer to my 75 meters training that I make with a very slow pace, so is more easy to relax in water than walking

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT