• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

aquarium fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Very funny laddie! I suspect going to Africa is just an excuse for you to be able to write in colonial English vernacular! :)

Very nice presentation with the pics in sepia. I'm sure we'll be regaled with the equivalent in spearfishing advertures soon?

Adrian

Just found this thread - had to jump in. Yeah, yeah, I've been draggin my arse on the db posting as of late - I know. It's summer, and I'm busy having fun. You should be too, so back off. You don't know me!

Oh yeah....aquaria. I see andrsn (where the h-e-double-hockey-stick has that guy been?) only keeps the salty tanks. Well, as a freshwater diver, I couldn't give a fiddler's fart about salt tanks. I keep the fresh kind... And as for any hoo-hah on whether fish get lonely, depressed, saddened, horny, beligerent, etc etc., I offer my tank to your eyes. These fish are as happy as a pig in sh#t. Ask them if they want to go back to the Amazon, and they will grow a middle finger, just so they could show it to you.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
Done it

I've kept both salt and fresh. Salt is a pain. The fish are very picky and apt not to get along and keeping the tank in balance is difficult. I considered doing invertebrates only but that is every bit as difficult..in fact the chemistry is more intense - though there are fewer political problems.

I've had some great freshwater tanks. In one I had an oscar, an arawana and a blue Koi (60 gal). The Koi would get excited when I came home and put his nose against the glass, splashing water all over the wall with his tail till I fed him. Arawanas are freaky ancient fish that get big enough to eat monkeys in the amazon. I tried indigenous too. tiny baby bass murdered everything in the tank the moment they had any kind of size. Sculpins did okay - they have small territories anyway - but it was hard to keep the tank cold enough - and they had to be trained to eat non-live food. Some of the african ciclids are very community oriented and don't mind small spaces.

I agree it is possible to keep some of the smaller ones - like the neons and whatnot in the pic - and probably some small very territorial guys but basically I don't like keeping aquariums anymore. I'd love to have a koi pond - but the thing would have to be about an acre before I'd feel comfortable - and at least 50 feet deep, and crystal clear - maybe with a small meditation room on the bottom ..etc. etc.. :) i come down on the open water side of the argument. But I don't think you'll necessarily go to hell if you don't agree - but if you do it might be a small rectangle with invisible walls....:waterwork

(that is a gorgeous freshwater tank - I think they like the grasses - looks like some kind of cichlid there toward the back - interesting the little guys seem to have all their fins and eyeballs)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Fondueset
I'd love to have a koi pond - but the thing would have to be about an acre before I'd feel comfortable - and at least 50 feet deep, and crystal clear - maybe with a small meditation room on the bottom ..etc. etc.. :)
That would be a dream come true for me! I have often thought of something like that. One day.....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT