• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are dry statics considered dangerous?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2002
Do you guys think that practicing dry statics while alone is a bad idea?

I figure that the worse thing that would happen is that i would pass out and start breathing again. But im not sure that I should trust that assumption and I would like to be safe.

Thanks For your help!!

Well, that depends on what you see as a dangerous, but in my experience it isn't. In the worst case senario, you would get a black out and pass out. Although I do believe that it is advisable to try to never get that far. However I am not a doctor, so I can't guarantee you a 100% good answer on that.

Although practising Static dry is good way to train your static performances there are two side effects I don't like.

One: somehow in long sessions, men tend during dry static to find it difficult to hold their urine.
Two: practising static the same way, over and over can become boring and on the long run, can even decrease your static time. It is advisable to have a couple of diffrent traning sessions through the week if you would like to it, and the important part is to keep it fun.

Yours,

Klaas Feenstra
The Netherlands

welcome to deeperblue Klass,

i would say the only bad thing i could think of would be if you vomit while blacked out.

for this i just lie on my side after the contractions get hard, that way if i black out and vomit, it will just drain out

just have fun

never 100%

Hola,
I think nothing is 100% safe.
Of course alone dry static is safer than wet.
But if you do some extreme packing before dry static is possible to lost consciousness, and hit your head.
For some lonely freedivers like me :waterwork this is the only way to train safely.
I will advice to make dry static in the floor or in bed.

Never 100%

Hola,
I think that anything is 100% safe.
Of course dry apnea is safer than wet, but if you make extreme packing before apnea, is possible to lost consciousness and hit your head :duh
But for some lonely freedivers (like me :waterwork ) dry static is the only safe way to keep training
I'll tell you that is better to train in the floor or the bed, to avoid problems

I agree with Frank and Klaas. As long as you practice lying down, then the only question is whether you think sambas and BOs are inherently dangerous. I don't, and practice dry a lot, and practice to samba and occasionally BO a lot too. The only side effect I'm seeing is that 1: I'm learning my true limitations, and 2: my limitations are gradually changing for the better.
There is evidence, if you look, that extreme hypoxia training stimulates some very beneficial and sometimes permanent physiological changes in the bodies of animals and athletes, so I would advocate for pushing the envelope :)
Of course I don't know about the long term effects since there really are no long term studies that I know of on old freedivers, and there are so many variables, but increased micro-capillary growth in the circulatory system and permanently lowered heart rates seem like things we should all be happy to receive.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

So it isn't just me ...

Originally posted by Klaas Feenstra
One: somehow in long sessions, men tend during dry static to find it difficult to hold their urine.

I've never had this happen to me during static (thank God), but at the end of an ascent in the sea, or when coming up at the end of a length underwater at the pool, I often get a really strong urge to pee, unless my bladder's already empty. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it related to the survival instinct that supposedly empties the bladder when confronted by vampires, dinosaurs, killer robots etc?

Does it really only happen to men?

One reason I ask is that freediving suits are supposed to allow almost no water transfer and to therefore be basically dry, and that just makes me think, ewwwww ...

Curiously, Bryan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT