• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

are full length fins really essential?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dhu

Oct 6, 2004
hi all!

i own cressi freefrogs, maybe 2/3 to 3/4 the length of normal fins, and i'm just wondering if these would be impeeding my progress greatly. do full length fins really make all that much difference?

dhu.

full leanth fins make all the differance dude. Once you try them

you will know what I am talking about. You are on the right track

by going with cressi sub there are the best. I own the new Gara

3000s there you the best fin I have ever used, and if I were you I

would not waste my time with the carbon fiber fins they work

perty good but they are delicate and they fall apart to easy... get

you self a pair of the Gara 3000s and they will preform better

than pertty much anything out there and they will last forever.

-David

I am sure the gara 3000 are nice, never tried them but have 2000hf. I would consider though spending a few more dollars and getting some fiberglass composite fins like waterway/matrix, omer bat etc. These fins get the power bonus of carbons, but are much more durable and should last a long time.

Hi dhu!

every person has a different favourite fin!

my favourite fins are the Omer milleniums!

In my opinion you should start with the regular fins and after a lot of improvement if you feel you want to then you can buy the carbon blades which you can put inside the omer footpocket!

here is a picture of the omer millenium competition!

Attachments

• omer.jpg
    omer.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 530
For which are best try reading through this thread http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38963 mind you it will take a while but there is all you'll ever need to know. I have 2 pairs, an Imersion pair which I can wear without socks and a pair of Cressi gara 2000hf of the two I prefer the Imersions for swimming on the surface and the cressi's for getting me back to the surface when Im gagging for a breath ;)

Hi dhu,

Longfins are not essential, thousands of divers did fine before longfins were invented. However, any longfin is so much better for freediving than any short fin, (unless there is something specific to your legs and those fins) that you will be amazed at the difference. Its worth the investment.

Which one is a question with a different answer for every diver. Alison has pointed out the best comparison thread that I know of. There is lots more info in other threads. If you decide to invest in a pair, use the search function and see what else is out there. Just remember, the primary rule is try them before you decide.

Connor

thanks all!

i'm hoping that my cresses will last me a while longer, nonetheless i'll check that thread out for the not too distant future when i get in the money.

dhu

working on technique, kicking, streamlining, relaxation uw, is more important. having good technique with no fins or short fins will surely get you further than diving with long fins. no piece of gear will make you a better diver. there are quite a few people who dive deeper without fins than any of us with whatever we can afford.
still, i love looking at new stuff and reading reports myself...;)

cheers

roland

currently i am using gara 3000, before i was using cressi freefrog. And if you are not as good as TOP END freedivers on apnea, yes long blade fin is ESSENTIAL.

If you can afford composite fibers then go for it if not plastic will be ok and soon you will find proper technique to use long blade fin effectively...

Originally posted by dhu
hi all!

i own cressi freefrogs, maybe 2/3 to 3/4 the length of normal fins, and i'm just wondering if these would be impeeding my progress greatly. do full length fins really make all that much difference?

dhu.

I own :

1. beuchat contact spirit
2. cressi free frog
3. rondine gara 2000 HF

free frogs are already good fins in a swimming pool ;

however you will discover their limits when diving in the deep... they will appear to you too supple when it comes to begin your way upwards....

for deep diving, my 2000 HF are very good, but too stiff for swimming...

the length.....

..is not the most important in my opinion.

Many freedivers have bad technique and they pick fins suiting the technique they have.
Mostly the choice goes for a hard fin because the use of "bicycle-kicks". The result is bad hydrodynamics and a lot of power is used to move water.

Start with soft rubber fins and work on a perfect technique, then go for longer fins and a stiffness that suits the optimal technique. When you have a good technique it's much easier to know if a fin is good or bad, you can immidiately feel if a fin "stalls" or if it's to weak.

I have made ALL mistakes myself.:waterwork , that's why I'm so sure of this. I have bought fins for several 1000 dollars.

dhu,
If you pick up yourself a pair of Omer footpockets, I have a pair of Omer Millenium Winter blades I'll sell you (for very cheap).

Just remove your fins altogether!!! You will probably be just as efficient without fins as with scuba fins! :) No hassle, no price, no breaking fins, no sore feet, no walking like a duck, etc...

I personally dive quite regularly without fins for recreational diving.

Just consider a monofin, before you see yourself with your 4th pair of long fins that doesn´t work either ;-)

No, long fins are OK -and the only way to go if you consider bi-fins, but in the last 4 years the majority of freedivers has turned to monofins -for a reason!!

Should you those bi-fins anyway, the Cressi Gara 2000 is a good choise. Regular if you are normally fit, and black if you are a tough guy.
-But I´d rather see you in a WaterWay monofin Mod.2 Medium ;-)

Deepest...
Peter P

The first pair of freediving fins I bought was a pair of Cressi Gara 2000 HF. They looked great, but they felt way too hard and stiff in the water :(

I now own a pair of OMER millenium with the green blade. Those I really like now. I used them for freediving in the lake (when the water was a little warmer) and for pool training now.

In the years before I always used Mares fins with a closed footpocket for the pool training. They worked fine. But it´s much more fun now with the long fins since you can go much faster.

greetings
Holger

I use Sporasub H Dessault fins.

They are pretty good and you can buy replacement blades if you snap them (like Charlie did !).

They are nice to use and easy to fin with. Not too stiff not too soft.

Ed

portinfer said:
I use Sporasub H Dessault fins.

They are pretty good and you can buy replacement blades if you snap them (like Charlie did !).

They are nice to use and easy to fin with. Not too stiff not too soft.

Ed

just like myself :)

Great fins for deeper water dives or when you're going to be covering a lot of distance. I also have a pair of shorter and very soft champion by cavalero which I use for shallower waters around rocks and learnt how to fin with.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT