• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

are there snorkles for people with no teeth?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

norfolknovice

Apr 30, 2013
Hello all..

I've just recently started my spearfishing adventure, and on my first dive out I noticed having only my two front teeth on my upper jaw made using my snorkle impossible. I was wondering if anybody had made a snorkle for the "toothless" man. From what I have seen they put the tooth bite pads in the same place on all snorkles. I am due to get dentures in the next few weeks but I really don't want to be wearing them at sea..

Anybody able to give any advice??

Ps.. Your probably thinking I'm an old man by needing dentures and having no upper teeth but the truth is I'm only 25 and unluckily inherited a hereditary tooth disorder from my dad..

Look forward to hearing your views on this??

Happy hunting..

Luke.

I would cut the bite tabs off (if they aren't in the right place) and consider using no tabs, if that works for you.

Alternatively, you could use Sugru (moldable silicone putty) to form your own custom mouthpiece on top of the existing one, as it bonds well to the existing silicone.

Just some ideas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

The moldable putty sounds like a good idea, the tabs currently sit between my bottom teeth and gums so if I could fill the gap with putty and maybe keep the tabs on it should work perfect.. Now going to have a look for some putty as I want to get out and practise some more.
I'm really surprised there are not company's selling a custom moulding kit for snorkles, surely everybody would be better off with a perfect fitting mouthpiece??

Thanks again

Luke

I have just cut the bite-pieces off, they didn't feel good. It works, not perfectly, but pretty well. In the beginning you might get a little sore in the muscles around the lips... However, I don't snorkel around, I just lay at a buoy and look down

I may have to try cutting off the tabs as the sugru is not yet safe to put in mouth/digest.. I'm now looking into getting some materials they use to make dentures, then hopefully I will be able to make my snorkle mouthpiece with that.

More ideas always welcome guys??

I've just recently started my spearfishing adventure, and on my first dive out I noticed having only my two front teeth on my upper jaw made using my snorkle impossible..

I don't quite get why it is impossible? If it is possible for me without the tabs, to some extend at least, then why is impossible for you...???

the tabs currently sit between my bottom teeth and gums so if I could fill the gap with putty and maybe keep the tabs on it should work perfect..

I see now that you seem to actually have teeth in the lower gum...

I may have to try cutting off the tabs

More ideas always welcome guys??

I'd say your own proposition sounds good, so wait with the cutting, extend the upper tabs, so the tabs might get a grip in the teeth below...

It may take some shopping to find the right one, but a really comfortable snorkel doesn't need the tabs at all. I chewed off the ones on my pool practice snorkel ages ago. No problem at all, because it fits right. If you have a used equipment source, look for an old techna, scubapro or similar, big barrel that is shaped to bend around the head. Those have very comfortable mouth pieces.

Connor

I used to love the Cressi America and use it for UWH / UWR and it's a great snorkel. I think it'd work well without the tabs.

My new fav I'd the LBS (Large Bore Snorkel) from Canamuwhgear.com

It has less breathing resistance than anything I've tried.

The mouthpiece silicone isn't as soft as the America though and might not be as comfortable without the tabs on.

This is my fav for freediving breath ups and recreational diving / spearing. It can be use at full length (to combat waves) and still breathes extremely well!!

Like many underwater hockey players, I've chewed my way through the tabs on a few snorkels in my time. Shouldn't make much difference using a snorkel without tabs, but you might take a little while to get used to it.

I'm going to cut the tabs off today and see how it feels, luckily snorkles are not to expensive so if I don't like the feeling il try a different model..
I'm still looking into mouth molding so if I make my own custom mouthpiece il put on a thread in the dit section..

Hopeffully the weather will start to get a bit better here soon and il be able to get in the sea and actually do some fishing, UK sucks for weather consistency!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…