• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[Article] Martin Stepanek: It's Not About Me

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
something like vectran would do the trick. you get it in chandleries but it is a bit expensive.

it has a stretch of something like 1% under 1/3 of it's breaking load - which for 24mm line is 14,000kg - so you'd have to load it over 4.5 tonnes of bottom weight for it to stretch appreciably. Which is one hell of a FIM line. As far as i know vectran doesn't 'creep' like most polymer materials under continuous load either. I'd guess someone on the dbforum could help out here?

As for drift... well, it can't be rocket science to use a sonar/emitter on the bottom plate and just see what angle the bottom plate is from the platform directly above, then it's gcse maths.

dunno, seems cooler than banning people from diving a metre deeper. besides, someday we'll all be old and wrinkly and we'll weep at the though of how much time we wasted with measuring tapes. :)

f

glenn, you've said that a 1 metre error margin is not acceptable, you've also said that measuring a line is guesswork. So you for one are not happy with the current margins of error.

I'm not that fussed about the first part, but i disagree with the second bit of the statement & if this whole line of discussion is going to lead to a possible re-evaluation of records, then maybe it should be thought through properly, no?

Sorry, not meaning to be rude, but just seems like you're starting up a line of thought, then shutting it down.

Bill, yep probably new thread time.

f

Sorry, not meaning to be rude, but just seems like you're starting up a line of thought, then shutting it down.

Thanks for correcting me Turtle , I opened a new thread here so we can continue this off topic discussion further.

REGULATIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL FREEDIVING COMPETITIONS says :
v11.2-2.2.1
A safety lanyard is mandatory for all depth events.
v11.2-3.13
The athlete must bring a tag up to the surface and deliver it to a member of the jury. This tag is situated on the final base plate at the announced depth of the athlete;
REGULATION FOR THE RECOGNITION OF RECORDS says :
v5.3a-6.3.2 Signal arrangement:
6.3.2.1 For constant weight, constant weight without fins and free immersion, one or several signals will be
placed at the anticipated depth of the record attempt bearing a number corresponding to the depth in
meters and signed by the International AIDA Judges on the day of the attempt.
The following submissions will be used to witness the performance:
· the freediver bringing up a marker ("depth tag") previously signed by the 2 International Judges.
AND
· a video recording on a new videocassette of the capture of the marker by a camera secured at the
anticipated depth, signed by the 2 International Judges prior to its immersion.
However, in free immersion and in constant weight without fins, it is permissible to touch only the end
plate by hand without taking the marker.

Well... To my opinion :
- First of all, every decision must be taking using the rules, so we have to know why (point X.x.x of rules) this decision has been taken.
- When it is not in the rules... 11.2-8.4 In the case of real doubt, benefit must be given to the athlete. If this is the case, the jury decides which performance to take into consideration. AND 11.2-10.6 Only the jury is allowed to make decisions not appearing in the present regulation. BUT Lanyard and Tag are in the rules....
- Point v5.3a-6.3.2 has "signal arrangement" title, it means that this part of the rules is known to be different than in the competition rules and it done for it.

As AIDA said we have "to protect three people during each performance; the current record holder, the athlete attempting to break the record, and the future record holder that will have to break a more difficult record."
To my opinion the benefit should be given to Martin too. Could someone give to me the reference to the rules where is it WRITTEN that lanyar is not mandatory if there are scuba divers...

Bill, i have a question :
Concerning competition... Protests could be done using a certain protocol, what is it about record attemps, wich document shall we use ?

READ the Appendix !!! (please)

"for the specific discipline" is section 3 in v11.2 - constant(x2) and nothing else.
(lanyard is section 2, right?!)

Protest in world record attempts will only be recived by the AIDA Executive Board, like in this case.

/B

So let me get this straight. Guy goes and beats a world record overseen by the organization that oversees the record and then later they tell him they fugged up and so his record is no longer valid?

AHAHAH, now that is a Joke!

Reactions: Tony Babowicz
Just a little thought.
The athlete has to come back up.
So + 1 meter really means + 2 meters added to the performance
+5 meters means actually + 10 meters added
How many of you can add 10 meters to the current world or national record? :)
As I said, just a little thought.

Reactions: alix.leclerc
So let me get this straight. Guy goes and beats a world record overseen by the organization that oversees the record and then later they tell him they fugged up and so his record is no longer valid?

AHAHAH, now that is a Joke!

And they validated at least 2 or 3 times before taking it away. Really a big and I'm sure a costly joke.

Just a little thought.
The athlete has to come back up.
So + 1 meter really means + 2 meters added to the performance
+5 meters means actually + 10 meters added
How many of you can add 10 meters to the current world or national record? :)
As I said, just a little thought.

That's a very good point. I agree with what has been said before that the distances that are being used at the moment are fine, and there's not real nead to increase (or decrease) them.

Anyway we've all seemed to agree on where the problems in this attempt actually stemmed from.

I think lanyard or not, tag or not these are magnificent performances.

Good luck Martin in breaking this in the near future I just hope too many sponsors are not scared off as that would damage the excellent efforts of the athletes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT