• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[Article] Ten Days in the Hole: A Review of the Aeris f10 from Dean's Blue Hole

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For me the number of dives that I can log before being forced to download them to a computer is crucial - as of course the PC interface. If I am on vacation in some place without my laptop, I usually fill the silly 99-dives memory in a few days. The D3 sucked in that respect, the Nemo sucks, and sadly the F10 will suck as well.

In a time when 1Gb costs one euro and is too small to hold it on your fingertip, I wonder what is the problem to fit a decent amount of memory in "a watch for freedivers that will have what freedivers need".

BTW cool article by the morey eel, which I rated 10/tenths (the article, not the eel).
It shed me a tear too: I had a dog named Spot (Macchia) back in the 70's......

I don't have a D4 - it is better than the d3 - it has more alarms than the D4 and, according to some of the other divers who tried it, is easier to read.

The D4 also, supposedly, goes through batteries fairly fast - and must be sent in to have them replaced.

However i was told by Aeris that battery life depends on how much time you are in the water. For an average occasional diver it might be over a year, but if you are in a lot it can be as little as 4 months. (this is because the F.10 has two processors - one for the clock functions, which don't use much energy, and one for the dive functions) My point being that battery life is relative and I can't say the F.10 is better than the D4 in that way except that you can replace the battery yourself.

For me the number of dives that I can log before being forced to download them to a computer is crucial - as of course the PC interface. If I am on vacation in some place without my laptop, I usually fill the silly 99-dives memory in a few days. The D3 sucked in that respect, the Nemo sucks, and sadly the F10 will suck as well.

In a time when 1Gb costs one euro and is too small to hold it on your fingertip, I wonder what is the problem to fit a decent amount of memory in "a watch for freedivers that will have what freedivers need".

I would put my money on long term commercial strategy. If the F10 would be the ultimate, than the designers would have put themselves out of work. And the company would not be conform the economic laws. You may have noticed things are rarely satisfying, strong, durable, repairable these days.

It would be too easy to store say 999 dives with some additional memory as many have mentioned, but you wouldn't want to buy the next model which would offer some more functions, and leaving out some good ones many have enjoyed in order to create the next not completely satisfying product.

In defence of the F10, it has many good stuff, and the 99 dives would be sufficient for a day or two of pretty intensive spearfishing. It would be enough for a week or two of deep diving training. I think I still going to recommend it to my freediving friends.

Love, Courage, water,

Kars

easy take laptpo and download cable at the end of each day download the dives, learn from them and review, change your alarms etc and aproach for the following day?

with the size and low cost of small Netbooks like Asus, Hp, Dell etc have this is an ideal way of diving and training.

Personal setup will be: (as of the 1st november)
-HP mini with inbuild hsdpa broadband
- download cable
- F10

works brilliantly and allows excellent portablility, instant internet access nearly anywhere and is extremely compact.

will make viewing my dives much easier after a dive session in real time in th car or in my case on the picnic table by the lakeside.

not to mention being able to store pictures, music, etc.

DD

I think part of the strategy with the F.10 is to keep it affordable. Just stepping into the pure freediving market is a stretch - though we are seeing this with both Aeris and Orca. Pretty exciting.

AGREED, lot of money in development for a VERY small market, just glad we have companies that are willing to listen and step into this market, the money indevelopment would make substantially more profit in other sectors yet they choose us. its a great time to be a freedivier.

DD

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT