• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Aspring Spearo in L.A. Looking for Buddies

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maninatikihut

Aug 30, 2018
Hey folks! I'm in Los Angeles and I'm looking for spearing buddies and perhaps a mentor. I've been in L.A. about a year, after a long career in the mountains (and a short stint in the Midwest), and I'm looking to become more ocean-oriented. One of my parents grew up in the Bahamas and speared a ton growing up, and I'd go out every time we'd visit family. But I'm interested in taking it a bit more seriously and exploring more of the West (best) Coast waters.

I'm looking for people that might be interested in going out, as well as any advice on getting deeper into the sport. I technically have everything I need to get out and get going, but they're all versions you serious guys would laugh at (open-heeled fins, higher volume mask, surf wetsuit, etc). As a grad student I'm forced to go the financially sensible route: use the stuff I have until I can upgrade as I get more committed. Is there anybody in the greater LA area that would be interested in linking up and getting in the water? Since I only own slings, and, considering that the visibility and obstacles that typify hunting in the are renders them impractical, my immediate desire is to tag along, dive around and maybe get some advice on fish/hunting/size regulations. Then, once I can demonstrate that I'm only a kook in terms of hard experience/gear, and not by behavior, maybe actually go out hunting with ya'll when I invest in pole spear/gun in the near future.

I'd be grateful to anybody willing to offer advice or an extended hand into the LA/SoCal spearing community. I don't own a boat or anything, but if it makes any difference I worked for a lot of years in high-end kitchens, and can always provide snacks or beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Deeper Blue. I already said about every thing I know in that other thread you read, but if you have any more questions I’ll try my best to help. I grew up using a Hawaiian sling in Florida but as you said they are impractical for local conditions here.

I think your first priority should be long fins with closed heels and a low column mask. Plastic fins are the cheapest and will get you started. You’re fortunate that the unusual water temps this year will permit you to get by with the surf suit, but eventually you’ll need a 5 mm suit with attached hood. Many divers, including me, wear a 7 mm suit in winter. The Spear America shop in Torrance has one of the best inventories on the West Coast and Dave Freeman can give you good advice.

The Los Angeles Fathomiers and the Long Beach Neptune’s club’s meet monthly and are good places to meet divers. Both welcome non-members at meetings.

Thanks so much, Bill!

I was already planning on heading to into Spear America in Torrance tomorrow, as I have a to do some work down there. Unfortunately the grad-student life means I'll mostly just drool, but I'm sure they'll be great people to talk to. I'm going to keep my ear tuned toward Craigslist, however, to see if anything pops up. Good news is I'm a pretty average sized individual, so it's not a radical possibility to find used stuff.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT