• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

attaching a shooting line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tonyeynon

Jun 12, 2008
Hey chaps,

Just a quick question if anyone could help?

Im attaching the shooting line to the spear but Im not sure which hole to put it in (que rude comments :t).

Ive watched the video posted on this forum and the chap threads the line through the hole right at the end of spear, but the is another hole about 2 inches further up which would seem to be better as it wouldnt interfier with the mechanism when you click the spear into your gun.

So Im just wondering which hole I should thread it through, and what the other ones for? Im using a thick fishing type wire as opposed to a cord type if that makes a difference?

but there is another hole about 2 inches further up which would seem to be better as it wouldnt interfier with the mechanism when you click the spear into your gun.

That one.
Many guys use the rear hole, but I prefer the other one. Not only in order not to interfere with the release mechanism, but also because fo another reason which...I realize, I'm unable to explain in english...

Careful about the type of line you're using. Nylon monoline must be at least 1,3 mm thick for an average european speargun. And if you use monoline instead of braided cord or dyneema, don't tie it with knots cause they won't hold for long: use the proper metal sleeves to crimp the monoline into, and crimp very tight!!!.

Thanks mate,

I thought it seemed a logical choice but eas worried I had missed something silly?! Yeah the line is what came with my new gun, it has the metal eyes for crimping so thats what Im going to do now. Ive just bought a set of crimps, watched the vid, now time for action!

Thanks again :)

Check that the lenght of the line is correct before cutting. Once it's cut, it's cut.

On that note, if you check out this pic (my new gun by the way:D:D:D)
http://www.beuchat.fr/index.php?id=35&cat=2&sscat=13&prod=366

They have the line rapped over the end of the spear - do you think thats how it is meant to look when loaded as again, that seems a bit odd? It only effects the lenth of the line by a couple of inches so I suppose I could cut it on the long side and try it out? Im just sure as Ive never fired one before - any ideas on this one?:)

Make sure you crimp your shooting line at the correct spot if you plan on using the hole further up the shaft. If you put your crimp right where your loading tab is your gonna have a heck of a time loading your gun. You may need to make the loop a little bigger so that the crimp falls between the two tabs on the shaft and stays clear of loading.

Make sure you crimp your shooting line at the correct spot if you plan on using the hole further up the shaft. If you put your crimp right where your loading tab is your gonna have a heck of a time loading your gun. You may need to make the loop a little bigger so that the crimp falls between the two tabs on the shaft and stays clear of loading.

Yeah cheers mate, I did kep an eye out for that, after watching the how to vid on this forum. It was very helpfull :)

Best,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT