• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

audible fish attraction device

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlungu

Deeper Blue Induna
Feb 22, 2004
Hi Guys,

thought I'd share this interesting invention with everyone..its not my own but based on a similar design....

I got this idea in 1996 from the freedivelist on one of the threads about FAD's. It consists of a piece of threaded steel screw that rasps on a tin can that is attached to a frisbee. The frisbee acts as a "parachute" in the water and also amplifies the sound vibration.

It can either be attached to a line and used in a similar way to a flasher or attached to a boat and the wave action moves it up and down.

The noise it makes acts like a "dinner bell" for any game fish in the vincinity because of the vibrations.

I sketched the plans with my mouse so forgive the drawing quality. I have built this and it's quite easy to rig up. The only time I used it I found it attracted a large shoal of sardines but not much else... but I think had I perservered and in the right conditions this device should work well.:cool:

Attachments

• fish att device.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 351
I had a similar thing happen with my mobile phone on my float. I had it on silent but the vibrate was on, someone called me and the vibrations attracted a large shoal of smallish bass that were hanging about.
I wonder if there are other devices like these around? :)

Alison,

A few years ago there were rumours that some of the Aussie spearos were using a commercially available device that makes a vibrating noise under water but have not heard of this since. Wonder if anyone else has?

Justin

Maybe it isn't a dinner bell that the fish are hearing, maybe they're getting 'excited'. Does anyone have any experience along these lines?

"There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is theÉ.. Mercedes-Benz 380SL." Lynn Lavner

:D

Seriously...few years ago there was a device going around roughly size of a matchbox, the "Dentex-S ", that would simulate sounds associated with the mating of dentex. One would descend into an aspetto position and start pressing the button and presumably the excited dentex would come to...see you.

Re: Re: Vibrators

Originally posted by Alison Jameson
Honestly!!

Honestly? You dont wanna know...:D :mute

The RA flasher has a vibrating component.
I also strum the rubbers on my gun to attract kingfish and such.

I have got both the old and new versions of the RA flasher, although there are a couple of moving parts ,can't really say it produces much of a vibration. I was thinking of placing a large fishing plug ( one of those vibrating lures) above the flasher , so that when you tug it from the surface, not only does the flasher move but the plug will send out vibrations to attract fish.

LOL. Excellent set-up, Alison. A tip 'o the hat to you. :eek:) After all the laughter, though, I bet if you put a device in something like one of those waterproof boxes or even a zip lock bag you'd be sure to get some fish action of one sort or another. I don't think I'd want my dive buddy to find one in my kit, though. ;o)
Mark

Originally posted by Baur
:D

Seriously...few years ago there was a device going around roughly size of a matchbox, the "Dentex-S ", that would simulate sounds associated with the mating of dentex. One would descend into an aspetto position and start pressing the button and presumably the excited dentex would come to...see you.

Are those devices works and are they still available somewhere?

Murat,

I have never seen anything like this available..... but an electrical fish attractor could easily be made if you have basic skills.

For a start, the "guts" of one of those vibrators everybody has been laughing at could easily be converted into a fish attractor...sorry, that's the only thing I could think of that runs off batteries!!

better get some big duracell batteries for the big devices available :D :D .....sure to pick up a nice wahoo or couta!!

Murat

I am not sure if they are still available. The product was advertised consistently in spearo mags in Greece about 5 years ago. I remember reading a review about it as being ineffective. My guess if it was any good it would still be around.

Just for the story im going to try hanging a plastic squid underneath the muzzle to see how the dentex react. Trial and error ppl..

Baur

For those in the UK Ann Summers sell a purple jelly gadget that would do just the job ;) waterproof too, for use in the bath I guess. About £20.
LOL just dont be seen on the beach with it!!:eek:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT