• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Austin Texas Freedivers Spearfishers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MeLT

Mar 14, 2007
Howdy,

I'm new to the Forum. Just wondering if there are any freedivers in the Austin Texas area who wouldn't mind working with a Newbie. I'm looking to join a club too if there is one. I did SCUBA years ago, but I'm not much interested in it these days. I've done a good bit of snorkeling. I fish, I hunt, I pay my own way in the world.
I'm looking to start freedive spearfishing. It just isn't wise to go it alone. Any suggestions...

MeLT

MeLT, Welcome to DB!
You've come to the right place. we'll get You hooked up. :)

Yeehaaaw!
Sanso

Hi,

I'm moving to Austin in some days. I do both spearhunting and freediving, if you know some good lakes/locations in your area we could meet and go hunting ...

I just saw this post. You should contact the South Texas Freedivers Association at www.stfreedivera.org They have 4 or 5 members in the Austin, TX area that dive at Lake Travis fairly often. They also have members in San Antonio, Portland, Corpus Christi, S. Padre and Dallas. Great group of guys. They all spearfish as well when the weather cooperates.

Great, thank you! page seems to be down right now.
Do you know where spearfishing is allowed in Texas? I know that people are fishing on the oilrigs, but I heared that in sweetwater it is only allowed to catch "nongame" fish. How do you deal with it, can I hunt for example in lake travis? What could be good "nongame" fish to catch and eat? The only fish I saw at a first look that was not on the game list of the TPWD and should be there is perch...

I just found out that they have the site down for maintenance but should have it back up later in the week.

As far as spearing goes in lakes, you can spear only non game fish like carp or koi ... I have never tried carp, but most people do not eat them. A few of the guys do spear them at Lake Travis because they are a non-native fish and they have a trendency to eat the eggs on the native species. They also do a river float down the San Marcos river to spear Koi and other non native fish. You can read about it at Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Bag Grouper! You may have seen this already, but if not you may find it helpful.

TPWD: Legal Freshwater and Saltwater Devices and Restrictions for Fish

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT