• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

australian records

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

Is Sebastien Murat Australian, cos I heard he's swedish or something, and also would anybody maybe walrus be able to tell me what the Australian Static apnea record is.

cheers

Hi Ivan,

didn't see this post before.
At present there are no official Australian records for anything, ie recognized by F.R.E.E, AIDA, CMAS etc.

Seb Murat is Australian, he set an unofficial dynamic record of 191m. This will never be recognized by any of the freediving bodies because there was no judge present. Also I know some people that were present at his attempt and he had a pretty major Samba after the record attempt. Herbert's wolrd record of 181m was clean, and has to be under AIDA rules.
That said Seb is extremly good freediver, I think probably in the top 5 in the world in terms of ability. He claims to have done over 8min statics, and I believe it from the dynamic he did.

I hope in future if he goes for a wolrd record attempt he does it properly and get it recognized by FREE or AIDA.

There is an unofficial CB record ie diving down with fins on, of 56m, set by Tony Heughs a spearo. I don't know the details of it but guessing he had lots of witnesses so I believe it.

Sacha Dench :- http://www.freedive.com.au is hoping to get some official Australian Records together. If you are interested in going for one you should contact her. She is also trying to get an Australian team together to compete in AIDA wolrd cupo in Hawaii.

I'm tempted to have a go at the 56m one myself, I'm not too far from it now. Equalising does get a bit tricky at that depth though.

That said if Seb goes for one I think that would pretty much rule me out, and probably everyone else :)

Cheers,
Wal

Me again Ivan,

just had a thought, the Wolrd cup results from the previous Australian freediving team would actually count as official results, ie could count as records since it was done under AIDA rules.

Therefore official AIDA Australian depth record would be 44m and held by these people (They all did the same depth excepth for one) :-
Ian Puckeridge,
Greg Pickering &
Watman (Sorry couldn't find first names, I knew the others)

And longest static was :-
5:22 By Ian Puckeridge

Keep in mind that they could probably have done better times & depths then these under different conditions. Not many people push PB's in comps because of the pressure / nerves and stuff.

You probably recoginize the names, they are all top competition spearo's, some with wolrd records.

Cheers,
Wal

hi walrus

That was very interesting to read, I sure do recogzize the names Iam pretty sure greg did a 5:15 static, Seb Murat lives in Cairns which is an hours drive from our house I dont know if he;s there now I should visit him one day Also how good do you have to be to get on the team, I mean staitc, dynamic, constant etc I wouldn't be good enough yet probably not old enough either do you have to be 18, do you know Ian and Greg personally you should meet Ian and get into spearfishing, water temp here on the GBR is freezing 26 degrees
cheers

ps I ordered my first freedive fins Omer Millenieum Comps $235

Originally posted by Walrus
I'm tempted to have a go at the 56m one myself, I'm not too far from it now.

Guess you figured that equalising technique Walter ;)

Hey Ivan, do you live up at Wonga Beach? Email me at b.drew@adfa.edu.au if you get a chance - I've tried PMing you but it's not working

hi loopy

hi

How the $^&* did you know I live at Wonga Beach, And with the email thing I don't really know how to use it, I tried emailin Walter a couple of times but It didn't work. Ill go have a look anyways. Im a long way from you guys If i had of known you and Walter earlier I could have met you guys. Cos earlier in the year we went to. Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane. damn it.

cheers

Ps Wonga Beach is awsome been living here for 17years

Yeah I used to go up there with my folks every year when i was younger... they own a block of land in daintree :)

See the little button up the top of the screen that says 'User CP'? Click on that, then click on the link that says 'Private Messaging', there should be a couple of messages from me.

hi

Thanks so much man that user cp thing was awsome im sorry I never responded to those guys I guess im not a computer dude. Wow owned a block at Daintree you should come up again with them some time. We well my grandad owns a hut near the mouth of the daintree which is only accessible by boat its awsome, this is where we go camping and take our boat and do spearin trips out to the reef. Im a pretty serious spearo and take it that your more keen on freediving. anyways

cheers

We were up there in Jan last year, when it was supposed to rain all month... we got like a week and a half of sunshine :) They still own the block.. there's an italian ex cane farmer there who owns some land, and he brok a small bit of his farm, which they bought... you go along the road that leads into daintree shops, and just past the turnoff to the ferry, it's on your left... nice little block :)

Send me a PM (back in that private message thing) and we can talk, that way we don't annoy everyone with a million posts :D

Loopy

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT