• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Awesome spearfishing trip to Inhaca island!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
Hi all. I had a recent spearing trip to my favourite place. I managed to shoot 3 respectable fish, 1 a bit not so respectable. And 4 little ones for my friend to use as bait. The black one had no scales funnily. The parrotfish were delicious. The photos of the black fish and 1st parrot fish doesn't do its size justice, it was definetly a nice size fish. I was using a tomahawk 1000 rob allen railgun. Does anybody have a idea what fish the black one is?? Thanks guys. Cheers

No story to go with the photo's? Looks like you had some fun.

The small dark fish looks a lot like a fish we have here, we call them black trevally or "happy moments". The "happy moments" is because its very painful if you get spiked by one. They are usually olive/green when alive & most often over shallow reef with a bit of suds happening.

The barracuda looks like a "pick handle barracuda". Do you eat them in that area?

The parrot looks like our "blue barred orange parrotfish". They require a bit of skill to spear, & yes they are great to eat, I love to shoot them too.

Cheers Sharkey

Last edited:
The story behind the photo... My brother was trying his luck for the first time spearfishing. The vis was +- 4m. I shot the black one and the smaller parrot underneath his nose. Water was about 5m deep, it was perfect for me. The barracuda is a pickhandle. We eat them in this area. I doubt there's cig poisoning in this area. We've caught and eaten 2 of them before. My barracuda is still in the fridge( I got it one the morning we left) so can't wait to eat it.

When I got the barracuda, the current was screaming at about 6 kmph. Had to fin like mad to keep up. There was a rocky outcrop where I was diving, so I'd hold onto that while breathing up. Then I'd dive and try to hold my position underwater holding onto a rock. I took a shot at them but were out of range(i got a 1m gun).

When I was breathing up again, I dived. I then looked to my left and saw they were super close. Got off a shot at the nearest one and it was smack-bang centre! I couldn't beleive my luck. The rest hung around a bit deeper at a little drop off further from shore(big no-no with that current). Anyway, I was exstatic! My first ''real'' fish. I half nicked the spine so he was kinda parilyzed.

THat's the story behind the fish. Hope you enjoyed it. Cheers Sharkey. ( The parrots were kinda hard cus of their super hard scales, fourtunately i got them just behind the gillplate)

Good to see your safe with currents. It's not easy when the water is moving that fast.
Are the currents tidal? Though I guess you already plan dives around the tides.

No access to a boat on this island?

Cheers Sharkey

Yeah. They are. It was going out through ''Hell's Gate''(well named) the tide. I was a bit too late. WHen I got the black fish and first parrot it was transitioning. But it was worth the tiring swim. There are boats to hire but super expensive. We were supposed to take our boat but one of the motors weren't pumping water and was overheating so had to turn around(we went on thursday insted of tuesday).

Cheers.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…