• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Azores spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlungu

Deeper Blue Induna
Feb 22, 2004
Hi All,

Im going to the Azores in July, does anybody have any contacts there or could recommend any one who does spearfishing charters or boat trips? I would love to dive the Princess Alice Banks but need a boat to get there!!

Hi Mlungu,

If you are thinking to go to Princesa Alice bank you probably better go to fail island.

I don't know any spear fishing charters only scuba...
You mite want to take a look at gaspar ocean adventures

Paulo Gaspar is the guy that caught the 297 kg bluefin tuna and he makes trips to the Princesa Alice Bank...

If he can't take you there ask for other people contacts...

I will be in S.Jorge Island from the beginning of July to the end of August, if you decide to drop send me a PM.

Cheers,
Rui

Attachments

• azores_bancos_colorido.gif
    azores_bancos_colorido.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 659
Rui,

Thanks for that info..... I tried Gasper before but they did not respond to my e-mail; maybe I'll try again... I will definately take up your offer.. perhaps we can meet up I will be staying on Faial island during my trip,Will contact you nearer the time.
Have you dived there before? Are there any regulations or licences I need before I go?

thanks mate

Hi Mlungu,

In Azores you can only spear 5 fish per days...so you have to choose wisely.;)
Spearing Dusky Groupers is forbidden... :waterwork
At the time you will be there all crustaceans are also forbidden. :waterwork
Since you are a tourist and if you are staying less than 30 days you don't need a spearfishing license...but my advice is to check with the Navy office first...

I've spent my last 8 summer vacation in Azores and have set foot on 8 of the 9 islands but only speared in S.Jorge, Graciosa, Faial, Pico (central group) and Flores and Corvo (western group).
S. Jorge is my favorite one...Faial is nice but already with a tourism development to big for my taste.

In Faial Island you can try a few dives in the channel pinnacles between Fail and Pico Islands...5 stars spearing. There is a dive shop just ahead of Peter Cafe...try talking something with them too.
Sorry not being much help but I've never used charter services in Azores.

Besides spearing I still don't know what I will be doing there (S.Jorge) this year. I will contact you if get the "great news" and you might just want forget Faial and come to S.Jorge...In any case let me know when you are coming and I will arrange something…

Cheers,
Rui

Rui,

Thanks for the very helpful info......I will be there from 19th to 28 th july so we must make a plan to meet up and go diving. I will PM you later with my contact details.

cheers

Justin

Originally posted by tamoshee
Can I come too?
Looks like an amazing place,

David

You bet David...:D
Azores is Paradise on Earth to me!!
Last year I almost ended staying there for good...4,5 months!
Maybe in a few years!

cheers,
Rui

Rui,

Have you been to Cape Verde Islands? also looks like a good place to go for spearfishing , similar to Azores. Are they also Portugese?

Hi Justin,

I've never been to Cabo Verde. Cabo Verde was a Portuguese colony its an independente country...Almost 30 years know.
Both Archipelagos are of volcanic origin and many species are also common to both. Cape Verde is closer to "land" and to the equator. The water gets warmer and there’s a lot more tropical species that you don’t see in Azores.

About the islands themselves: Some of the Cape Verde islands are a total desert while Azores islands are covered with a luxuriant green. Azores are known as the islands of "mist", it rains almost everyday, something rare in Cape Verde.
I think both are similar in terms of people wise...Once you've made friendship with the locals you are doomed...:friday
I have many friends from Cape Verde, I will have to go there and visit them someday...

Cheers,
Rui

That's interesting.... I saw a picture of a guy who shot a large seriola on the C-V islands so I thought it would be a good place to try and spearfish. Must try and go there also!!

Cheers

Justin

Originally posted by Mlungu
That's interesting.... I saw a picture of a guy who shot a large seriola on the C-V islands so I thought it would be a good place to try and spearfish. Must try and go there also!!

Cheers

Justin

I think you got me wrong, Justin!! :)
Cabo Verde is very nice to spearfishing...
The water temp is higher and pelagic species are more consistent and regular. Most of the species you find in Azores you will find in Cabo Verde plus some of the species common in the that area of the coast of Africa. Great for wahoo and AJ (Seriola).

Cheers,
Rui

Rui,

Do you know if there are many active spearos operating in the central group? How about spearos from mainland Portugal, do they travel to Azores a lot?
I was there few years back and fell totally in love with Pico!!
We have plans to go spearing of Pico next year.

I did not see too many spearos there.
Tons of fish though....unfortunately I did not have a gun with me.

Heaven on earth....I most certainly do agree.

Cheers,
Mikko

Hi Miko,

Yes, there are spearos operating in the central group and some spearos from the mainland go there to.
You will probably find more spearos in the main islands like S.Miguel, Faial and Terceira.

I've only speared a couple of times in Pico and not on the best parts of the island, but it is a nice island.
I really liked the eastern part of the island, the one opposed to Faial Island. But you will have to be very careful in Pico, if they get you into a wine cellar, you are in big trouble. :D

Cheers,
Rui

To me it seemed that the north coast of Pico facing Sao Jorge would probably offer best coast launch spearing. For BW I would head for south of Pico or to that strait between Pico and Faial.

Well...after all the distances are very short, so if one has a good boat, you can go anywhere!!! Faial, Pico, S.Jorge....all very close to each other.

Oh..so you got lured to the cellars??
That explains why you call the Faial facing part "eastern"???:t

Oh...S.Miguel (Ponta Delgada) was terrible...will never set my foot on that piece of rock again. :(

Cheers,
Mikko

The sunset over Faial island seen from top of Pico Moutain.

Attachments

• dscn0383.jpg
    dscn0383.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 415
Originally posted by Mikko
To me it seemed that the north coast of Pico facing Sao Jorge would probably offer best coast launch spearing. For BW I would head for south of Pico or to that strait between Pico and Faial.

Well...after all the distances are very short, so if one has a good boat, you can go anywhere!!! Faial, Pico, S.Jorge....all very close to each other.

Oh..so you got lured to the cellars??
That explains why you call the Faial facing part "eastern"???:t

Oh...S.Miguel (Ponta Delgada) was terrible...will never set my foot on that piece of rock again. :(

Cheers,
Mikko

Mikko...the opposed part...Has faraway away from Faial the better!! eheh!!
just one more pic...from S.Joge with Pico in the background.

Cheers,
Rui

Attachments

• dscn0278.jpg
    dscn0278.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 383
Hi Mikko,

Have you dived the Azore's with a boat? do you know any body who can take guy's out on boat trips to spearfish?

Cheers

Justin

Rui,

You should not have shown those photos....need to get back there soon......

I think Faial is not that bad. I do however see what you mean. Compared to Ponta Delgada it is a tiny country village.

Justin,

Only once. If you are asking me, your best bet is to fly to Horta in Faial and ask from the guys hanging abbout in the marina or go to the dive shop Rui already mentioned.

I have never been to S.Jorge, but I'm pretty sure that your chances are better in Horta.

Cheers,
Mikko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT