• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Back Ache! Weight Belt to blame

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
Any tips re. whats wrong.
Rubber weight belt. Heavy belt, found it a bit too much this weekend so some to come off.
I'm getting bad back ache towards the end of a dive. Base of back. Makes it awkward to duck dive at that stage of the dive (starts to ache after about 1hr, .. difficulty in bending etc after 2hrs).
Once out the water the discomfort passes in an hour.
Wondering if its position of belt, or if its common?
Did figure I'd move weight away from my spine but not a lot of room each side as I'm pretty narrow!

Hi Pav, used to suffer the exact same thing, it became very uncomfortable/painful.
For me the solution was a harness, took 6kg off the belt and put it in the harness, no more painful duck diving. Ankle weights are also a good way to get some lead off the belt.

Regards,
Dave.

Reactions: Pav
I had the same problem in comps after 4-5 hours found it very difficult to dive. Have like Devon Dave turned to a harness for this seasons diving, have been using it for all my diving to get use to it. Does mean you have to spread your weight around a bit though. Had to buy ankle weight because legs started floating up when static on the bottom.

kev

Last edited:
Listen to Devondave! A harness will cure your woes.

Pav i use a harness and its one of the best things i've done, not a touch of back ache ever since i started useing one.

6lb on a seac sub vest which has pockets front and back, then 14lb on a rubber belt and half a pound on each ankle over my socks but tucked under my suit legs.

Dave.

Last edited:
Mine is a Picasso from the now defunct Portland Oceaneering, so not much help there I'm afraid. It only takes 6kg if I use two 3kg shot bags, less if lead weights are used.
Don't know if it makes any difference which make to get but I'm sure you won't regret it, wish I'd got one a long time ago.

Regards,
Dave.

Think that all the vest of this type must come out of the same factory. Omer vest on link is exactly the same as mine for Spearo Uk.

Kev

Omer make 2 sorts of weight vest. The small one only has a limited capacity and only weights on the back. It is neat and compact. The other Omer vest is very large with multiple pockets. it offers a lot of flexibility but IMHO is too big (and therefore somewhat restrictive).

The Seac sub is a medium size vest with facilities for weights in the front as well as weights down the back along the line of the spine. It is also cheaper (by far) than the larger Omer and offers great value for money. This is especially so if you make your own weights from sheet lead (as I did). No moulding required just a bit of cutting with shears or even decent scissors.

I promote the seac sub not just 'cause I got one but somewhere there is a thread where I looked into vests and I concluded this was the best (for me) having looked at all the rest. Then I bought one and have never regretted it.

Dave.

cheap alternative: a 2Kg weight and old bike iner tubes. I have used this exact one every spearing dive since I made it. Perfect in my not too humble opinion :)

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 159
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 142
  • harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 148
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT