• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bad Barracuda

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Abriapnea

Jan 16, 2002
Has anyone ever had experiences of barracuda turning on them when speared ?
A friend had an artery in his leg opened by one , had to rush back to shore .
Another got bitten behind the neck and had to call the boat , jump on and have it pried off with a knife .
My personal favourite was a mate who got bitten on the cojones : he shredded the poor fish to pieces with his bare hands in about one second flat :D

OK, I'm back. The club was quiet and damn I still have hang over from last night...:D :D

3 cases Abri.

My friend got bitten from a medium sized barracuda on his elbow, after he speared and the fish took revenge. It went tru his 2mm Polartec suit and made a decently nasty cut.

My other friend was attacked also by a barracuda after he speared one, I was there and somehow my friend hands was so fast and he managed to grab the rather-slow wounded barracuda and make a hulla hup out of it ....our favourite non bleeding dispatch of thick skinny fish.

The last barracuda I speared for my boat crew was shafted from the gill to gill but it still wasn't realy stoned, it tried to bite me a few times, since it was not that fast anymore, I managed to slap it off course twice with my hands and finaly use my fins to kick it away. Since the Riffe Ice Pick I use, can travel by its slide ring all over the shaft length, I can not keep a good disctance. I just waited for 5 minutes till it get realy tired and despatch it.

No big injury, the 3 fishes all under 10kg.

IYA

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT