• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

bad vis at twin today

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greatwhitepike

Apr 12, 2006
Man the vis at Twin was pretty rude today around 4-6’ but at least I got to chill with a good sized burbot for awhile. I jumped in Swan lake ( south of Rocky ) on thurs night after work with big expectations, after the back country map book reported Alberta’s largest Brown Trout, at 17.5 lbs being pulled out of it. What a let down, the only signs of life are the beaver dam and loon poop. But the water was very calm and the vis was around 10’ so it was still fun and good practice.

Reactions: feign
I have not been able to get out yet. I had the same experience last year at Twin lakes about this same time or a bit earlier. I went out and the vis was very poor. I found that there was a bloom of small water mites, when I looked closely, billions of them that were actually part of the vis problem.

lee

feign said:
I have not been able to get out yet. I had the same experience last year at Twin lakes about this same time or a bit earlier. I went out and the vis was very poor. I found that there was a bloom of small water mites, when I looked closely, billions of them that were actually part of the vis problem.

lee

hmm yikes I haven't experienced them to my knowledge yet

Actually, you were probably inhaling them today. It was very subtle and I had to look intently at the mist of particulate matter. To my horror :yack they were a bath of creatures. The bloom didn't last to long though.

Just filter-feed them like a baleen whale and enjoy!
Erik

feign said:
Actually, you were probably inhaling them today. It was very subtle and I had to look intently at the mist of particulate matter. To my horror :yack they were a bath of creatures. The bloom didn't last to long though.

I figured as much

oh well they are probably high in protien low in carbs eh

I'll have to pack my magnifier next time

Last edited:
well whats your sched like for the next bit? I'll be working around Rocky until at least fri home nights in RD around 7ish and hope to do some SCUBA next weekend but I'm always up for Free diving too.

I'm planning on hitting Battle Lake this Saturday. We had some good success there last year.
Erik

Erik said:
I'm planning on hitting Battle Lake this Saturday. We had some good success there last year.
Erik

O.K. I understand that's by Wetaskewin, but how do you get to where you guys enter?

We either go in at the campsite, which is on the north side, or at the river mouth on the east end of the lake. If you're headed towards Twin, look for the Battle Lake sign and hang a right which will take you to the north side of the lake.
The river mouth is a little further west down the highway and just after the small bridge that goes over the river.
I just checked the Regs: lake is closed until May 18, so maybe I'll wait until the end of the month.
Erik

I was just at Twin. Vis. was very nice. Around 10 feet and in some cases I could see 20-30 feet down.

Planning on heading to Twin tomorrow mid morning. This weeks weather is supposed to be amazing.

I'd love to phone in sick and join you, but that wouldn't be prudent, as G Bush Senior used to say :)
Lee you are coming in my car with Jimmy to Sask?
We should agree on the logistics of that soon.
Erik

Man I wish I could take a sick day tommorow and head out to twin too. I had a great time there yesterday the old drysuit actually works fairly well for free diving after a quick scub. I snagged one of those Can Tire Bare suits and even it was warm enough, now I just need a hood to go with it and I'll be good to go .:martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT