• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bah Humbug!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Anyone else think christmas is just a waste of time and a major inconvienence for those that don't conform to a christian ethos?

Merry HoHo to those that participate :D hope you're all happy, I'm out of beer and they close the Liquor Stores on this holiday... grrrr!

:head ;)

I think that the way most of us celebrate christmas has very little to do with "true christianity" (what ever that may be). And at least in this part of the world, it was originally a pagan holiday, it just sort of conveniently merged with the birthday of Jesus over time...But there's still a lot of pagan elements in it today. Like Santa for example, he ain't exactly Christ, albeit on a similar mission to spread joy. That reminds me of a funny story I heard once (don't know if this is true). Apparently in Japan, some big store wanted to display some christmas spirit. They got their mythologies a bit mixed, and the set up a huge crusifix in front of the store, unfortunately crusifying the wrong bearded man. I bet for any western kid seeing Santa hang up there would've been a bit of a holiday spoiler.

Personally I don't mind having a couple of days off, meeting family and friends and eating well and maybe sitting down for a moment to think about what we could do for our fellow man. And really, that's all it is for me.

What I DO mind is the last few weeks leading to christmas, which is an orgy of consumption, source of great stress and traffic jams. I mean people are ready kill for a parking spot and there's very little consideration for the guy next to you. And this is in our small, not very densly populated country. I can't even imagine what it would be like in a truly big city...Not to mention having to listen every half celebrity make their "funky and original" versions of those tired old christmas songs and having them stuffed down your throat in any public area :) (like in a pool while trying to relax for some nice static apnea).

Hope I didn't spoil anyone's spirit by being too cynical. Of course it's not up to me to dictate what you may find enjoyable and/or spiritual. If you truly get a kick out of christmas, then merry christmas to you!

I enjoy celebrating the birthday of Christ. Whether it be blended into an original pagan holiday or not. That doesn't change the impact of the event for me.
What I don't enjoy is the grotesque commercialization (sp?) that has taken over. The shopping and fighting for that gift to give that the recipiant will not(in my expierence) need or probably want. It's my fault as much as anyone's. I've fallen to the commercial mentality. I work my whole life to buy junk I don't need.
Anyway I hope you all had a good Christmas...even to those who don't conform to the Christian ethos :D
Later,
Stitch

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT