• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bahama diving with cdavis, azapa, and monkeyhatfork

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think it would be great. I swam with some off hatteras and they definitely respond to a dolphin kick.

Great idea, Fondue, and you are just the guy to try it. Josh decided not to bring his because of shipping problems, so we never had a chance to try a mono. Get it down here and I'll figure out how to fit it on the boat.

Now, if I can just drag you out of the far north.

Connor

Reactions: foxfish
I'm an ace at bringing monofins on airplanes - I discovered the secret on my last Bahamas trip. It's called 'Cardboard'. It's like a frickin miracle.

Wall diving:

I forget how bizarre wall diving is, especially when its the first dive of the day in a place you have never been. In the Bahamas, its always deep. Top of the ledge will be 90 to 150 ft. Sometimes, like HITW, its dark and spooky, black nothingness on one side and massive mountain cliffs on the other, VERY big fish appearing out of the shadows(Oh God, something is coming to eat me!!!!!!!!). Its disorienting, scary, fascinating and exhilarating. Hard diving, but memorable like nothing else. Other times, the vis is 40 m fabulous. You don't have to go below the lip. Even on a deep wall, 90 ft can be a ringside seat. Lots of light, big sharks, big grouper, schools of big jacks as you go up and down, very occasionally a tuna or billfish. The deep is still spooky, but better vis and light changes the psychology. The wall south of Bimini is like that often. It starts with a 45 degree rolloff from 125 and then straight down from 150. I love the place.

It is very much worth traveling 200 miles offshore in a small boat on the chance of finding an outstanding wall.

Connor

Last edited:
now that 20lb chunk of lead on a rope seems more tempting than ever. I had previously thought of variable/no-limits/skandalopetra as 'just not tennis' but since Egypt I have seen the light. It would have been a cool tool to explore the wall with..

next time..

heres the third and probably last of the video, was a bit difficult to try and do this one following the dolphins video its not quite as exciting but you get a good idea of the reef, its a mish mash of gingerbreads, abaco, and a few leftover shots from bimini

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zdsBvwRTA]YouTube - Bahama reef and fish.wmv[/ame]

Hey Josh,

Somehow I got distracted and only saw the first minute or so of the video.

Nice Job! It gives a very good feel for what those big fishy ledges were really like.

Did your fins come in ok?

Connor

heres the third and probably last of the video, was a bit difficult to try and do this one following the dolphins video its not quite as exciting but you get a good idea of the reef, its a mish mash of gingerbreads, abaco, and a few leftover shots from bimini

this video has really nice music Joh - who is it?

kp

dang, I'm green with envy. My next milestones in diving are -10m and -15m, but this is incentive enough to continue past that!

Last edited:
don't be so green Aaron, most of the fun dives were less than 15M deep, you'll get there soon. Good luck with your training and dive safe.

I read every word. I looked at every picture.

I have had 4 awesome trips with Connor to the Bahamas, and two to L. Cayman.

I have been buzzed by sharks and jewfish. I have had numerous PB's. I have had my life saved by Connor twice.

So, I ask you this: HOW is the H - E - DoubleHockeyStick can I be jealous?

Ohhhh, right! You jerks swam with FREAKING DOLPHINS! rofl

Seriously mind-blowing video and photos, guys! Two [hundred] thumbs up!

Ted

nice video you posted on your trip thread Ted, you seem to have the pole spear down. I just chewed stuff up, very frustrating. That first shot on the Connie under the ledge was a corker. Happy memories of the trip!

I do seem to remember you were invited, Ted. Serves you right for turning me down, Hehehe.

Don't worry, diving with dolphins is going to be a regular feature of future trips(thank you monkeyhatfork). You'll get your chance.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT