• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Baja Spearing!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

C.R.madness

FLORIDA NATIVE
Dec 18, 2006
wow im pretty excited, in just a little over 2 weeks im heading down to the Cabo San Lucas area of Baja...and since im going to be new to that area, i was wondering how things were done there,im not looking to go very deep maybe about 20ft max, is there anything at that depth worthwhile? i appreciate any help

Believe it or not, it's winter here in Baja California too. I live in La Paz year round and unfortunately, we are in the part of the year where, well, fishing sucks. But you can still find your dive entertaining. Cabo Pulmo reef is a great dive, but not for sport fishermen, the area is protected. Santa Maria is where all the tourists go, so say no more. If you get out towards East Cape you might have some luck, but I'm afraid cold water (sub 80°F) rules right now. For more information on Baja check out www.BajaInsider.com. Take some pics and write us a story, we'd love to hear from you there.

I'll second the vote for Cabo Pulmo- it's just a bit of a drive from Cabo and when I was there it was still dirt road for the last third or the ride. Still, it's one of the nicer dive sites down there.

Another place to check out, closer to town, is Chileno beach. It's not that far of a drive, and has a dive shop on the beach where you can rent gear and kayaks. It is also fairly protected but still allows you to work your way out into deeper water. I've dove it this time of year before and saw lots of life.

Since you'll be in town you can always take a water taxi out to the arch and snorkel off the Pelican Rock area- just watch out for the jetskiers. :vangry

Jon

awsome!...thanks for that info, i have access to a small boat so i may be able to hit some of those areas a little further out i beleive, but thanks again

can you spear aroud the pelican rock area in cabo? and if so what kind of fish are good to shoot? (75cm sparasub black viper and 6 foot pole spear with 3 prong paralyser)

Sub 80's? I dont put on my shorty until it hits the low 70's and then i'm quite comfortable. it's interesting to see how perception chanes from place to place

I never speared in Cabo but in La Paz we shoot Mostly Pargo, Cabrilla and Parrot Fish.

I personally think for spearfishing you would like more La Paz, Cabo is all Tourist.

yeah ive heard that from a few people that ive talked to, about how long of a drive from cabo is it to La Paz

its about a 2 1/2 Hour Drive, a Beautiful drive. Theres 2 Higways 1 on the Pacific Side, and the Other one on thr Gulf of California Side.

The Gulf of California Side is longer but more beautiful.

The Pacific Side you drive thru Todos Santos.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT