• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Baja the Beautiful

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
Cooking fresh speared fish over a mesquite wood fire on a desolate Baja Mexico beach is one of the greatest things. No roads. No boats (other than ours). Desert overland terrain with a striking transition to the life of reefs in the sea of Cortez. It was a time warp to reefs like they should be. My first thought while diving there was that all the fish were on steroids. Everything was big. Even the angels and damselfish.

I hooked up with some awesome guys and great spearfisherman out of California down in Baja Mexico in mid May. I had been wanting to go to the Pacific side of Mexico for a while. I had thought about a charter out of San Diego, but had the opportunity for this camping/diving trip, so I jumped at the chance.

We enjoyed some great tacos on entry to the country before heading down about 1 hour by boat down the coast. It was a quiet sea, both in terms of waves and lack of boats. Amazing beauty of a desert rugged mountain coastline. We set up camp on a picturesque remote beach with soft white sand to sleep on that had been scoped out by the group leader.

I explored back in the bush one day. Dry desert vegetation and limited wildlife to scorpions, lizards and jackrabbits. It has its own style and beauty. It reminded me of northwest Texas where I lived when I was a young kid. We mostly dove around off-shore islands and a bit of blue water stuff. Every spot was outstanding. Visibility varied from about 30-50 ft. The diving was amazing even from the shore off the camp. We ate like kings - Sashimi yellow tail, parrotfish shish kebab and beer battered pargo.

It all ended too soon. On the way to the airport we stopped at the same taco place. This time with amarillo (yellow) snapper fillets in hand (at the suggestion of one of my companions), that I had speared within the hour. The lady made fish tacos for us with these fillets. This was a real treat.

Back home some family and friends were able to enjoy a bit of my experience by coming over for a bbq of fresh pargo. This had been kept fresh on ice and flown back several thousand miles. It was cooked over chunk wood charcoal and seasoned only with olive oil, fresh pepper and sea salt. A couple of them admitted that they had never had a piece of fish so good. Neither had I.

Attachments

• P5100028.jpg
    P5100028.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 193
  • P5120077.jpg
    P5120077.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 197
  • P5100034.jpg
    P5100034.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 184
  • P5130115.jpg
    P5130115.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 198
  • P5120089.jpg
    P5120089.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Reactions: fcallagy and Mr. X
Different kind of water, but that is exactly the type of trip I love to take in the Bahamas. A rare and special treat. Thanks for sharing

Connor

...The diving was amazing even from the shore off the camp. We ate like kings - Sashimi yellow tail, parrotfish shish kebab and beer battered pargo.

It all ended too soon.

I know that feeling that you're feeling. Consequently, I feel both envy and pity.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT