• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Balance question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TNdiver

Apr 23, 2006
I finally got a chance to go to the lake yesterday and do some diving before i go to Hawaii later this summer. I made my weight belt my self out of a set of ankle weights and an old nylon webbing belt. All the weight is on the back of the belt. On my first dive or two i ended up doing an underwater flip and comming back to the surface. I know part of the problem is probably that i couldnt see to tell which way i was going. (surface visibality was probably about a foot and a half, i was lucky to see my hand on the rope a few inches infront of my face at 30 feet.) Im wondering if having the weight all on my back may have been a big part of the cause of that, or if it shouldnt be a problem if i was able to see where i was going.

Maybe, maybe not. I personally also have all my weights on my back - 2 or 3 kg and not having a flipping problem.

on your back as in around your shoulder area?(more like a weight harness) or around your waist on a belt, but all behind you?

Around my hips = I'm wearing belt very low
And yes - the weights are "behind" me

thanks for the help. I said what i said that way because of the weight harnesses that some people use that have the weight high on their back between their shoulders, and i wanted to clarify if thats what you were using.

Turns out it was just a matter of low visiblity in the river, and not getting my entry right. I just got back from my trip to hawaii, and had no problem with not going down right. I used the belt i had made a few times, but ended up getting a regular weight belt while i was there. I will switch the belt to a bike tire innertube like ive read about before i use it again. I didnt like how tight the belt had to be to not slide.

Put your belt as low as possible (I always put it on the hips almost about 20cm below belly buton) = then the tighting it up isn't problem as it would be if I put it around belly.
BTW - what kind of belt you have? I have a rubber one.

It's one of the nylon webbing ones. I read that a bike innertube works well as a rubber belt, and that rubber belts are, in most peoples oppinion, better than the cloth ones.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT