• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ballan wrasse

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jimmz2

Aug 1, 2016
Hi all new to this forum. Saw a post on wrasse ages ago on here.
Recently back from a trip to Cornwall which ain't that far for me which is cool, I've found a couple of spots where the Ballan wrasse are massive. I'm talking 60cm.. And lots of them. Anyone else seen em this size, this is only 8-10m on large weedy rock.
Reading about them the bigger males take up to 30 yrs to grow to this size, crazy big mothers.

Lovely fish to see, very placid and almost friendly fish!
For many years the shore fishing record was over 10lb but that record was revised about 40 years ago and now stands around 9lb
They feed mainly on crabs, limpets and other small crustaceans that can be found amongst weedy rocks.
Like most fish they are in decline, they are slow growing and surprisingly isolated to inshore marks.

Yet to come face to face with a basking shark though

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…