• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Barracuda ???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes; Well this is just my "improvisioned" recipe, but according to my friends testimonies (DB members here too), it tasted wonderful and worked pretty well :) :)

This recipe works best with big barracudas (1.3m+ and over 20kg).... and is combines both bbq and oven rosting technique

First Cut the barracuda into three large pieces (the head piece, the mid piece and toward the tail piece) so to facilitate cooking.

Then marinate the big fish chunks into a sauce preparation of soya, garlic, lemon, and mix of coriander, oregano, thyme and herbs de provence (if available). Leave for like 1-2hrs

Then bbq on low fire for like 1hr (that will slowly half-cook it and give it a bbqed taste as well).

After that cut the big 3 pieces longitudinally (like along the spine) so that you are opening the chunks like two flaps. Wrap in aluminium foil and cook on low oven fire for another hour.

The barracuda will be cooking in the oven in its own juices so the flesh will be very soft and tasty.

Then decorate in the way you want !

Serve with red burgundy wine or rose wine and enjoy your meal

Just a final note: Barracuda, especially big ones can have ciguaretta toxins in their flesh, and ciguaretta poisoning can be very nasty. That's said, you should consume it with caution if you know that ciguaretta poisoning is common in the area where you live. For example, here in Qatar, this is almost unheard of despite that huge barracudas are consumed all the time

Best regards and bon appetit !

Last edited:
Yes; Well this is just my "improvisioned" recipe, but according to my friends testimonies (DB members here too), it tasted wonderful and worked pretty well :) :)

This recipe works best with big barracudas (1.3m+ and over 20kg).... and is combines both bbq and oven rosting technique

First Cut the barracuda into three large pieces (the head piece, the mid piece and toward the tail piece) so to facilitate cooking.

Then marinate the big fish chunks into a sauce preparation of soya, garlic, lemon, and mix of coriander, oregano, thyme and herbs de provence (if available). Leave for like 1-2hrs

Then bbq on low fire for like 1hr (that will slowly half-cook it and give it a bbqed taste as well).

After that cut the big 3 pieces longitudinally (like along the spine) so that you are opening the chunks like two flaps. Wrap in aluminium foil and cook on low oven fire for another hour.

The barracuda will be cooking in the oven in its own juices so the flesh will be very soft and tasty.

Just a final note: Barracuda, especially big ones can have ciguaretta toxins in their flesh, and ciguaretta poisoning can be very nasty. That's said, you should consume it with caution if you know that ciguaretta poisoning is common in the area where you live. For example, here in Qatar, this is almost unheard of despite that huge barracudas are consumed all the time

k thx i will try it

From my experience as an avid cook and a seafood (& meat) restaurant owner I would reccomend that you first cut the fish longitudinally, then marinate, then wrap in aluminium foil and put on the bbq! If you would like the fish to receive a stronger bbq flavour, just before the fish is fully cooked, unwrap the fish and place it on the bbq untill it is fully cooked.

Just my 2 cents! The marinade sounds good by the way! I usually do the same but I use olive oil instead of soya!

This was the wrong thread to enter as I am fasting now! My mouth is watering as I am typing!

Bon apetite!

Said

Hmmm sounds good folks, now I think I do have one to add as well assuming that barracuda is very much the same as our snoek we have here in SA, I do actually think they are related, so here goes.
This is a SA bbq recipie so we use a wood fire and let it burn down to embers to cook the fish on. Youll need a smallish sized fish, big enough to fit onto your grid. Clean and fillet the fish down the lenth so that your fish is basically folded open, bones still in place, after that lightly salt it and let it air dry for a bit. For the sauce youll need, butter (3 table spoons) or olive oil (about half a cup), worchestershire sause or soy sauce (1 and 1/2 to 2 table spoons depending on taste), apricot jam (2 or 3 table spoons), garlic ( half a teaspoon), lemon juice ( about 2 lemons ) and your fafourite fish spices. Chuck all that into a microwaveble bowl while the fire is burning and your fish is waiting. Microwave and stir every now and then untill you have a consistent sauce, no clumps of jam and so on. Also make sure you took out all the lemon pips. You want like a sweet and sour taste
Now when the fire is ready, fish doesnt like very high heat. Place the fish on the grid, skin side down and cover the flesh side liberally with your basting sause. Grill untill the sauce starts to simmer on top and turn, make sure not to burn the skin. After each turn baste the fish with your sauce and keep turning and basting untill the sauce is finished and the fish is cooked. This should take about 20 to 30 min depending on the size of fish and the heat of the embers. Also if your not sure when to turn, turn it every 5 to 10 min.
Serve with chilled white whine and salad and fresh bread with butter and jam :)

mmmmmmm did something similar on friday night! turned out perfect! apricot jam is a must! makes a world of difference...

snoek is a close relative of the infamous barracuda DT. I do mine basically the same, freediver 81. With a twist, i just fillet the snoek/barracuda and then use butter as my base, preheat butter with herbs/spices, garlic and add apricot jam. Once you have a sauce put barracuda skinside on foil cover completely with sauce, over medium to low heat (in our case fire and coals) the butter will melt into the flesh and make sure the natural juices dont boil out, then take a cup of apricaot jam, and boil till the jam makes a liquid suace. Now when you flesh is all white and tender the fish is done, but heres the killer bit. brush pure apricot jam over the fish and then only turn it around for the first time. the apricot jam will make a sweet crisp sugary coating almost like a creme brule (shouldnt take longer than two mintues to crisp) serve and watch your guest confirm that you are the king of seafood dishes. My they crawl in your mighty presence.

snoek is a close relative of the infamous barracuda DT. I do mine basically the same, freediver 81. With a twist, i just fillet the snoek/barracuda and then use butter as my base, preheat butter with herbs/spices, garlic and add apricot jam. Once you have a sauce put barracuda skinside on foil cover completely with sauce, over medium to low heat (in our case fire and coals) the butter will melt into the flesh and make sure the natural juices dont boil out, then take a cup of apricaot jam, and boil till the jam makes a liquid suace. Now when you flesh is all white and tender the fish is done, but heres the killer bit. brush pure apricot jam over the fish and then only turn it around for the first time. the apricot jam will make a sweet crisp sugary coating almost like a creme brule (shouldnt take longer than two mintues to crisp) serve and watch your guest confirm that you are the king of seafood dishes. My they crawl in your mighty presence.

Sounds very good! I'll try it! I also use butter sometimes but olive oil is healthier!

Thanks,

Said

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT