• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

barrel and sperars proportions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
also I wuold like to hear your openion about the best shaft diameter, I tuoght that Ill do 7mm shaft, but now I see that in steal shops the main majority of steal sticks is 6mm and 8mm. what is the best diameter to hunt?

i think a 6mm shaft would be a decent thickness of shaft. can you get it in spring stainless steel? how much does it cost where you are for this? if its cheaper maybe order some from ray odor in florida. he is a great guy, good prices and super fast when it comes to getting spears out.

whatever you choose to make your shaft out of make sure its spring stainless. i think its the best and probably would be most expensive but i had galvanized shafts and they are not as good. real rough.

where are you at ?

john

what is that "fiberglass"?
the aim of this is to decreas the area that tuches (betwen the shaft and the track) and also to icrese sliperynes (galass). believe that in this kind of track shaft will lose less power. I have duodts abaut the stability I believe that kind of trck shuold be elclosed only as when the shaft will be moving it might catch water easyer(from the sides), it wuold be slimilar to driving on a wet road, that wuold increse the sliperynes but decreses the acuracy. also as the area that tuches decreses the stabilitu shuold also decrese dont you think?

i think if you use glass it would make a lounder sound when fired if the shaft whips. it may also lead to cracks and scratches if sand gets in there and scores it. i think if you make the track of wood it will be just as nice.

fiberglass is a cloth material impregnated with resin and hardener and cures to a hard finish. the same thing a lot of boat hulls are made of, also surf boards.

you have a lot of good ideas but i think some might be more work than it will be worth and could cause some frustrations down the road.

i think its great you have ideas like this though and this is how things get invented, new concepts developed and innoovative products get born!

thank yuo for encouragement.
I dont think I could buy something from florida as I'm from Europe, in my cuontry Lithuania, there is no shops of steal, so ir is quite dificult to get it as busines men has no intention in doing such little deals.
so the galss idea is no good, what do yuo think fo making thack in square shape, what abuot the stability?

thank yuo for encouragement.
I dont think I could buy something from florida as I'm from Europe, in my cuontry Lithuania, there is no shops of steal, so ir is quite dificult to get it as busines men has no intention in doing such little deals.
so the galss idea is no good, what do yuo think fo making thack in square shape, what abuot the stability?

i think that a rounded shape is just as good as a square shape and the half round shape might be easier to do as well if you dont have a bit to cut the square shape. i personally like the rounded shape as its a proven style that works fine. the spear will lay in there and be held down in it with the tension of the bands assuming you are not going to have elevated bands. this should be just fine.

are you using a european trigger mechanism or a american style mechanism? will you be notching the shaft or just making a partial round shape in it to use a euro trigger?

i think to keep it simple would be perfect, have a rounded shaft rail in the gun. i think the glass idea may be prone to damage and cracking as the fun flexes or if it gets etched with sand.

i understand its expensive to get things where you are and if you need some things I will try and help. i ship things to my inlaws in slovakia a lot now.

keep us posted!

john

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT