• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Barrel Flex !!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
Upto my last dive trip I didnt truly believe in alluminum barrel flex in long aluminum guns and I think it was a theoretical issue...

My current gun is 110cm long with aluminum barrel loaded with 20mm single G20 cressi rubber.

Here are the pictures that I discovered :(

Attachments

• tn_1.jpg
    tn_1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 867
Last edited by a moderator:
the mid section barrel flexing is obvious as you can see.:naughty

Attachments

• tn_2.jpg
    tn_2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 801
luckily Aydin, gave me a hand, and his friend will manufacture me a new aspetto gun ;)

Very good work Memo,congragulations.
A friend of mine,who makes wooden spearguns made and show the approximately whole well known brands either alluminum,carbon or another except the laminated wood bend and flex obviously.
Thank you for this demo,everyone must do this test to their own guns at home,and think twice..
Its a mechanical issue but this flexion absorbs too much energy and stability i think....Nice to see you going to the wood..

I believe in the stability problems too. Although the accuracy is perfect at close ranges, long shots always cause some problems.

Very interesting Memo, nice info. Thank you.

Rubber being on top of the barrel does seems to flex out the barrel. If the load of the rubber can be placed in the middle of the tube barrel, perhaps it will be different.

Maybe.... The moment that the rubbers apply on the muzzle seems to make the job :( A lower muzzle or a rubber allignment that you specified will make things different for sure...

Hey memo,

You will buy gun from Levent Gozen? Whých model and how much?

I saw some of his gun's pic in local omer site which looks similar to the pelagos. But if there is not much price difference, pelagos may be a better choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore
it would have been nice to see some pics from the same angles of the same gun when unloaded.

Rob

True, always need a "control group" picture for comparison sake.

Nice pics though Memo, I think I'll go home & load a couple of my alum. guns to test. I generally underpower mine, so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue... I hope.

I generally give my 1.4 RA Saracen a bit of a workout... double 16mm rubbers cut short... If you want to see some similar pics with this loaded up I can do that ;)

Don't think their will be much difference from the control :)

Rob

Hey Memo,

Is that hole in the pinboard a practice shot you took indoors?:D

WHat length G20 bands have you got on your 110?

the position of the rubber whether on the top or midsection of the rubber(like the sling) does not change anything Iya,if it is not laminated wood or very thicker carbon ,all standart carbons or aluminium,etc always shows this flexion to a degree depends on the barrel length and rubber length and thickness..

Hello Murat ,
The web site that you have seen Levent's guns have no relation with Omer brand ,like a joke the name of the guy is Ömer,it's real..
And this guy have put the Levents guns to his site without any permission of Levent,and after a little!!!! warning they take away these photo.. Bad story..
Aydýn

Yes Aydýn, i know that. Thats why i said "his gun's" in previous post.

Anyway, Do you know that gun's price by the chance?

Well I can take few pictures tomorrow for some control purpose ;)

Shane, my rubbers are 27.5cmlong, and you have to see the holes at the window :D

Murat, yes aydýn referred Levents guns and I think I will order one with the barrel desing similar to pelagos but with a plastic handle (possible excalibur or T20). The new gun will be 110cm as well.

I also think getting a 75cm alluminum barrel for my 110cm cressi and generate it into a perfect small gun :D

Murat I'm thinking of getting totem rubber to this gun as well.

okay here is the new set of pictures

the unloaded gun for all of you to compare the barrel when loaded.. (ignore the bended spearshaft as I put it on the books to take the picture.)

Attachments

• tn_3.jpg
    tn_3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 410
now the flexed barrels
note: I didnt put the tip of the spear anywhere so you can judge the load of bands easily...

Attachments

• tn_4.jpg
    tn_4.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 410
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT