• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

bars or psi amount for deep water...?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SporaScrub

Apr 21, 2008
I just had my yearly maintenance done on my Mares Sten 150 yesterday and I wondered what would be the approriate amount of bars or psi's I would need to shoot in deep water?

The dive shop set it at 300psi and I told them to take it up to 400.
I would like to be able to make decent (10-12') shots on fast fish like AJ's, black groupers and mutton snappers at or around 70-80'

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions!

I have never loaded nor shot a 150cm pneumatic. However, from my experience with 110-115cm airguns I imagine that 300psi = 20-21bar will be somewhat limiting, especially
- if you are not using a sealing system (Mamba, Tovarich, etc)
- if you are using 8mm shafts.

An Italian friend of mine has a 130cm Sten. If I remember correctly, he had it pumped at around 28bar = 406psi and, equally important, he had the physique to load it! ;)

Cheers, ulysses

Thanks Ulysses

The gun is marketed by Mares as a 150cm but in reality when I measured it from the tip of the muzzle to the air (valve) cap its really 141cm.

You're correct, I'm not currently using a sealing system such as tovarich or mamba and Sten shafts are 8mm and the shaft I'm using on this gun is 152cm.

The gun shoots fine in shallow water (25-45') but I rather shoot my 120cm sten since I don't need a knee loader to load it.

Was your friend with the 130cm @ 406psi happy with it's performance? How deep was he hunting?

I've emailed Ramon about a Tovarich system but I'm having a hard time dealing with the bank wire transfer.

Thanks

Thanks TJ, I just registered with Tranzfers and plan getting a Tovarich soon.

thats a big gun spora :) my buddy has a 130 sten, couldnt load it, it was funny as hell watching him try :):)

thats a big gun spora :) my buddy has a 130 sten, couldnt load it, it was funny as hell watching him try :):)

:) your right, it is funny as hell. I let one of my friends borrow a 115 Seac and since he was into body building he thought it would be easy to load. I looked at him try and load it and I could see the shaft bending and he couldn't get the first couple of inches in :head

With my 150cm it also looks funny because I have to bend over to load the gun. I have a knee loader and when I rest it on top of my foot to load the gun, the muzzle is right around my knee's.

I tried loading the gun with the 400psi on the floor at my house and it seemed pretty hard. On Saturday I went out to fish for yellowtail and on the way back home jumped in to try and load the gun in the water. To my surprise, it was quite easy with 400psi.

I'm definitely getting a Tovarich kit for this gun and if it goes well maybe a second Tovarich kit for my 120cm Sten:martial

Hi guys Iam new to this site,but really enjoy it. I leave here in Tampa,Florida,USA.
i have a Mares CYRANO 1100 and ASSO 130 which a love over my rubber gun
i have a MAMBA Kit on my cyrano. I woul love to tried the new TOVARICH Kit on my ASSO 130/and MARES cyrano 850. Can you guys give me RAMON email or contact information. by the way is hard to obtain a MAMBA kit in the USA now.
I havent been able to contact the Representative here in the states.
please help, the dry barrell make BIG difference. I mainly spear 40-100ft
with good result. thank you in advance!!

definitely need some increased fart strength at those depths....hmmmm wouldn't happen to be that "black" spot you've been holding out on us, would buddy boy:hmm...........rofl

definitely need some increased fart strength at those depths....hmmmm wouldn't happen to be that "black" spot you've been holding out on us, would buddy boy:hmm...........rofl

I figured, since the gun is currently at 400psi and it shoot's great at -40' (ask Alan, he's seen a couple of my distant shot's :martial). I would imagine that at +55' it would need more pressure but more pressure would also increase the risk of damaging parts. I can't afford to damage any parts on a gun that's discontinued, so Mamba/Tovarich here I come :friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT