• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Based in Hong Kong, but would like to spearfish anywhere ? Spearfishing !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MickyT

Jun 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a scuba diver, free diver and kinda beginner spearos. I love spearfishing and went several times already in Europe and in Bali area.
I'm living in Hong Kong but there is not much spearfishing here. But I'm someone very free so I can travel almost everywhere in Asia, Any time, as long as we go spearfishing.

I heard there are spots in Thailand, I know Bali and surrounding islands, but I'm quite open to find some buddies to go here and there. I've travelled alone for spearfishing, it sucks, it's dangerous, and not that much fun !

PM Me, or send me a mail at michaelthouvenot (at) G mail (dot) com if you want. Cheers

for HK, you need license for speargun but spearpole is ok.
Tried using spearpole in Sai kung, catched a table size grouper.

There might be bigger size out there but probably depends on location.

Hello,

I have never spearfished in HK. Water visibility is not good and there is no fish to what I heard. I got some friends that go scuba spearfishing which I think is not a sport. But even like that they can't catch a lot, Like 4/5 fishes each in one evening.
I'm aware for the licence for the speargun in HK, and it's why I'm not stocking one right now.
If someday you go again, even with Pole, maybe I can give a try... I got some friends who go, maybe we can join somehow.
Cheers

yes, visibility not really good. it's like 1-2m visibility only.

i just tagged along with my local freedive instructor since i'm new to the sport. just barely passed my AIDA 2 last month. :)
We went to Sai Kung near golf course' public parking. you'll see divers with torches around 7-8pm at night when low tide.
Was suppose to catch crabs but lucky that he had spare pole.
found one grouper sleeping under a rock. Not a trophee size but decent enough for the table.

upload_2016-7-12_21-29-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-12_21-28-27.png
    upload_2016-7-12_21-28-27.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 263
Hey buddy,
Would be interesting for you to go bali ? Depends if you have time. I have spearfished several places and I think it's pretty good there. lots of fishes, good prices, good place, not too far.
In HK... Really man, it's heart breaking.

Would love to go there but unfortunately not free this year.
Just cancelled my scuba diving trip this coming August since my grandma is in hospital.

I might join if you have a spearfishing trip in HK though...if you don't mind babysitting a fresh new beginner freediver :D

Ok Man let me plan something in august. I got a friend who knows the place. we can go for a week end. Spear Pole can do fr the first time, I never tried.
How deep you can go ?

My max is 19m but took me a lot of preparation.
Need more diving experience for sure.

how deep do you guys usually go for?

for me, Spearfishing usually 10 to 25 with an average around 15/20. I go Bali to increase this average if possible. I wanna reach 40m and average around 25 each dive.
I got some friends who dive at 40/50m with bottom of 30sec to 1min... We will get to it.
But in HK, if visibility is 2m... so I guess I'll not go over 10m. Had bad experience of night diving with sea urchins popping in front of my eyes at 1m.

Would love to go there but unfortunately not free this year.
Just cancelled my scuba diving trip this coming August since my grandma is in hospital.

I might join if you have a spearfishing trip in HK though...if you don't mind babysitting a fresh new beginner freediver :D

Free next Tuesday ? I'll try sling in hk with a friend. We are 3. Let me know

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT