• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Basic Training plan for a rookie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr_Marshall

Jun 3, 2020
Hi all,

I'm a new free diver looking for some ideas on training. My wife and I have done the first part of AIDA 2 and will be completing the open water component in August. We're physically fit and have a regular routine of running, cycling, yoga and lifting weights. What we would like to add is some breath hold work. I have a basic idea of how i'd like to proceed, but wanted to draw on the experience of this community to see if it seems reasonable/ideal. Here's what I'm thinking.

1) establish max breath hold in the water (backyard pool). Haven't don't this since an indoor pool session back in February.
2) use max breath hold time with the STAmina app to establish O2 and CO2 tables.
3) do one O2 table and one CO2 table per week on different days
4) one backyard pool session per week to re-test max breath hold, followed by some no fin dynamic work. Pool isn't really big enough for finning.

Still haven't worked out exactly what the dynamic work will look like. How does this plan sound? Enough? Too much?

Thank you!
Greg

Hi all,

I'm a new free diver looking for some ideas on training. My wife and I have done the first part of AIDA 2 and will be completing the open water component in August. We're physically fit and have a regular routine of running, cycling, yoga and lifting weights. What we would like to add is some breath hold work. I have a basic idea of how i'd like to proceed, but wanted to draw on the experience of this community to see if it seems reasonable/ideal. Here's what I'm thinking.

1) establish max breath hold in the water (backyard pool). Haven't don't this since an indoor pool session back in February.
2) use max breath hold time with the STAmina app to establish O2 and CO2 tables.
3) do one O2 table and one CO2 table per week on different days
4) one backyard pool session per week to re-test max breath hold, followed by some no fin dynamic work. Pool isn't really big enough for finning.

Still haven't worked out exactly what the dynamic work will look like. How does this plan sound? Enough? Too much?

Thank you!
Greg

In my opinion, (keeping things simple sticking closely to your current plan)

1) good

2) good

3) For beginners I don't think CO2 training is a good idea. (contrary to what you're told in AIDA 2 or AIDA 3 course). You need to learn to relax into longer and longer holds, and push those contractions as far into the hold as possible: So just do the O2 tables which are great for this, and forget about the CO2 table for now. **There's some scientific evidence collected by Erika Shagatay (freedive physiologist) supporting this as well** 2-3 tables per week is enough at the beginner level.

4) don't "test" your max every week.. You're aim should be to TRAIN, not to test. If you can make that 80% O2 table really easy, it won't be much effort to set a New PB.. (I'd say, you're better off adding 5-10s to your O2 table every week, than you are "wasting" the session on such frequent max attempts. Maybe try TESTING every 3 weeks)

as for the DNF training in your backyard pool.. Thats up to you. It could be a fun alternative to STA, although there probably won't be much transfer to deep diving with fins on. Again, I'd recommend multiple reps of a long(ish) but still comfortable distance, vs doing hard CO2 training.. Improve staying relaxed instead of suffering though CO2 work.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT